Wireless Access

Highlighted
bs1
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Issues while gaming on wireless

@cjoseph wrote:

Please also make sure that on all of your SSIDs, under advanced, "Broadcast Filter ARP" is enabled so that you are not competing against excess broadcast traffic.

Is this under the VAPs? I am struggling to find it. We're running 8.5.0.3

Highlighted
bs1

Hi all,

Still looking for help with this and the above post^^^^^.

Students arrived back from winter break and we've had a barrage of complaints about PlayStations and Xboxes with slow connections and disconnects, both on the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

Sometimes these clear up on their own, sometimes I reboot the AP, it varies how we eventually solve the issue.

Has anyone in higher ed, or any other dense deployments, experimented with setting their channels to 20 wide? This is very frustrating.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

What kind of equipment do you have?
What version of ArubaOS do you have?
How long has it been deployed?
The discussions in this thread are specific to the people that advances before and may not match the suggestions we would give you...

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
bs1

2 MMs, HW5Ks

6 local controllers, 7240XMs

4000+ APs throughout campus, with roughly 2200 315 APs in res halls, typically every other room deployment. Buildings vary from old, barrack style to newer suite type apartments.

3 SSIDs, eduroam, our secure 802.1x SSID, and our public/guest SSID.

Game consoles are sent via Clearpass to the public SSID, so they receive public IPs.

This setup has been deployed for about 4 years. We will be upgrading the res halls APs to 515s this coming summer in a 1 for 1 swap.

The res halls have been wired-free for over two years, so Ethernet is not an option.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Did you try opening a case with Aruba Technical Support, so that they can look at the details of your setup and propose any fixes?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
bs1

We've opened a few cases with TAC about gaming, be it console issues or PC gaming, and really haven't gotten much traction given the finicky nature of the latency, jitter, ping loss, and various servers involved.

The best we could come up with is a gaming role tied to a policy with a list of network ranges, sites, and ports specific to gaming, giving them priority.

We have also stressed to students if they do choose to bring devices onto campus, to make sure they are 5Ghz capable. But as we've seen, we still have issues on 5Ghz.

I don't mind opening another case, but it can get tedious trying to coordinate with students and TAC to all be on at the same time to troubleshoot, hence my question about various setting tweaks.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

To be clear, I was asking about TAC because they would be able to obtain more detailed information from you that we would be able to gain here.  If anything else was already attempted to fix the issue, we would know what doesn't work and use that to suggest something else.  If you already had existing issues, TAC would be able to give you recommendations based on those issues and make suggestions to try something else.

With that being said, which devices do you have issues with and what are the details of the issues?

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
bs1

Xboxes and Playstations, specifically. They range from older 2.4-only, to the newer ac capable.

The issues also vary, from not being able to connect to the guest SSID, to being able to connect to the guest SSID, but unable to play online/multiplayer games.

The tickets coming in now fall in the "slow speeds and frequent disconnects to various game servers (FIFA, etc.)"

I know these consoles can be notoriously bad on wireless, and the networks themselves (Xbox Live and PlayStation Network) can experience system-wide problems, but I want to make sure we can do all we can on our end to make our wireless the best it can be.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

My advice is to work with a single motivated user on each platform at a time to determine if your changes made improve things.  Ideally, things that you do to improve wireless in general improve things for gaming devices, so you should look at the system, or the general area where gaming devices exist wholistically, first.

If you are using 40 or 80mhz channels, I would drop to 20 mhz wide channels to improve performance and avoid cochannel interference.  Working with the user that has the most prevalent issues, I would do a site survey of that person's entire dorm room to determine if your signal strength/quality is good enough.  If you are not enabling "broadcast filter all" on all of your Virtual APs, I would consider it, because that is a prevalent source of disconnects.  If you are not using DFS channels on the 5ghz band, I would consider it.  I would look at the RF utilization on the access points with the issue to determine how much utilization you are seeing to determine if things are congested.

Again, working with a user who has the most issues who is motivated to make it work is your best chance at understanding your challenges.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
bs1

Appreciate your time and advice, I will look into those changes.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: