Wireless Access

Highlighted
Contributor II

Issues with AP 510 series and Windows devices

Hi All,

I thought I would add this purely because we are having a lot of issues with our customers using AP510 series AP's and code version 8.4.0.0

We have been doing a few installs and have noticed that windows clients are unable to see the SSID's that are being broadcasted but Apple and other devices are able to see them and connect to them fine.

Because the AP510 series AP's are capable of 802.11ax windows devices which have Intel drivers on a version prior to 20.70.x.x will be unable to see the SSID. 

The obvious resolution is to update the drivers on the client device but on a large campus with 1000's of windows devices, this won't be possible unless you are able to push a group policy to the devices.

The fix for this is, unfortunately, disabling "high efficiency enable" in the SSID profile as this allows devices with older drivers to work. 

I know it defeats the point of having the new AP's as they are using 802.11ax, however, the only fix I could find was to turn 802.11ax (high efficiency) Off.

See the photo below to locate this option.

[MD group you want to effect] > Configuration > System > Profiles > Wireless LAN > High-efficiency SSID > [profile being used in your SSID profile] > untick "high efficiency enable".

15_31_34-Window.jpg

Thanks,

Ben 

Ben Casey

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Re: Issues with AP 510 series and Windows devices

As you noted, this is unfortunately a client device driver issue, and said drivers would need to be upgraded. We hit the same thing at Atmosphere 19 with some of the older Windows clients. We had the same issues when 11n was released into the field with client devices. 

The solution is either to disable HE and push out notifications to the user based to upgrade their device drivers, or have two SSIDs (one with HE enabled and one without). Neither solution is ideal, but it's an unfortunate consequence with devices that will not or have not been upgraded in a LONG time. 

Jerrod Howard
Distinguished Technologist, TME

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor II

Hi Steve,

This isn't a bug, it is just a known issue. Both the Aruba wireless and the Intel cards are working as they should. This is purely an incompatibility between old software and the only way to fix it will be to upgrade the drivers.

The fix is already out there which is upgrading the drivers.

Also 802.11ax, is only out on 8.4.0.0 when using the ap 5xx series, so this issue wouldn’t have a resolution in version pre 8.4.x.x

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Casey

All Replies
Highlighted
MVP Expert

As you noted, this is unfortunately a client device driver issue, and said drivers would need to be upgraded. We hit the same thing at Atmosphere 19 with some of the older Windows clients. We had the same issues when 11n was released into the field with client devices. 

The solution is either to disable HE and push out notifications to the user based to upgrade their device drivers, or have two SSIDs (one with HE enabled and one without). Neither solution is ideal, but it's an unfortunate consequence with devices that will not or have not been upgraded in a LONG time. 

Jerrod Howard
Distinguished Technologist, TME

Highlighted
Contributor II

Thank you for that!

Ben Casey
New Contributor

Has this issue been fixed in AOS 8.0.4.2?  The bug (old: 189519; AOS-154217) is not listed in the known bugs in 8.0.4.2 release notes:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/DownloadSoftware/tabid/75/DMXModule/510/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=34094

Or is it being treated as an Intel client bug?

Highlighted
Contributor II

Hi Steve,

This isn't a bug, it is just a known issue. Both the Aruba wireless and the Intel cards are working as they should. This is purely an incompatibility between old software and the only way to fix it will be to upgrade the drivers.

The fix is already out there which is upgrading the drivers.

Also 802.11ax, is only out on 8.4.0.0 when using the ap 5xx series, so this issue wouldn’t have a resolution in version pre 8.4.x.x

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Casey

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi,

I have got the same issue with AX access points. So i want to enable high efficiency for some of APs. My question is that How can i do it. I do not see how to apply high efficiency proflie i created to AP group.

Thank for helps

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

When is it that microsoft will start packaging this new driver and push it out via regular windows updates?

Any idea on when this might happen?

Highlighted
Contributor I

What would be the best way to set up a test environment to guage the impact for our wireless users?

My plan was to create a test AP group that only contains AP515's in one location and then get a subset of various users to test the impact of running with older drivers.

However when I go into the profiles for a test AP group, there is no option for turning off .ax features? It seems to be a global setting?

How are people testing this? I can set up a custom profile that has no .ax functionality, Im just not sure how to tie that in to an AP group?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

You'll need to create a new HE profile with it disabled and associate that to your test AP Group.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: