Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines

Posted May 05, 2020 07:51 AM

Hi All,

I wanted to ask if any of you had a strange behaviour of WiFi when WPA2 used on Windows Clients?. We have MM-MD setup, luckily not in production yet. Problem I have is that I have pretty much vanila config, just setup Cluster, VRRD on MM and MD's. From that perspective all looks good, cluster is L2 and Loadbalance of AP and Users works.

Here is the issue, I've setup tunneled SSID using WPA2-AES and only smarthphones can connect without any issue.

When I try my win10 laptop or on clients Win10 pro laptops we have problems to associate to the SSID. All laptops up to date (including WLAN drivers, which are btw also different makes). Most of the AP's are Ap515 but we have for testing setup AP303 with same results. Windows machines can see the SSID but fail to connect.

If I setup open SSID all works no problem. Debug shows "wrong replay counter". I've contacted support, we have tried the known stuff (Increase WPA timers, power settings, disabled 80MHz and few other bits) but so far we have no fix. Did anybody experience similar on their setup?

Version of code tried: 8.6.0.0 and 8.6.0.4

2 VMM+ 2 7210's.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2020 08:02 AM

Is this WPA2 Enterprise or PSK?

• 3.  RE: Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines

Posted May 05, 2020 08:06 AM

Hi CJoseph,

it is PSK.

In production we will integrate with CPPM and use 802.1x but for now, WPA2-PSK.

Thank you for quick reply.

Regards,

• 4.  RE: Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2020 08:28 AM

Does your PSK have any special characters or symbols?

• 5.  RE: Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines

Posted May 05, 2020 08:40 AM

no, 8 lowercase letters and one number. Nothing special.

• 6.  RE: Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2020 10:46 AM

Did you do a "encrypt disable" and a "show wlan ssid <ssid profile>" to make sure that the passphrase matches?

• 7.  RE: Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines

Posted May 06, 2020 05:25 AM

Yes, I did. PSK matches with what I put into devices. Bare in mind that Samsung devices do not have this issue so it should not be PSK related. However it is authentication process related issue. Its 4 windows 10 (3 different builds) machines tested so far with same errors.

• 8.  RE: Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2020 05:36 AM

Well, keep working with TAC and let us know how it is going.  

• 9.  RE: Issues with WPA connectivity on Windows Machines
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2020 08:33 AM

Sorry for the late reply on this, but the fix from my side was to reset the whole MM and MD setup and start again on fresh 8.6.0.4 version.

TAC have noticed that BSSID was changing for some reason when the Windows device tried to connect but I could not wait anymore and I've started from scratch. I can confirm after upgrading to latest  and building the whole setup fresh have resolved the problem.

Thank You for your help.

Regards,

Martin