Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

JUMBO EVERYWHERE? TUNNEL MODE

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  JUMBO EVERYWHERE? TUNNEL MODE

Posted Apr 11, 2019 09:58 AM

New 2019 deployments!

What is the best practice regarding jumbo? A couple months ago I had a customer core switch fragmenting packets from a controller for years and CPU utilization was over 70% this entire time. (Illustrated with monitoring software) After jumbo deployed to the controller the CPU dropped to..30-40%.

Fundamentals guide states.

To achieve maximum performance benefits with Tunnel Mode, end-to-end jumbo frame support
    should be enabled on a wired switch due to the increased aggregation introduced with the IEEE
    802.11ac standard.

Do you deploy jumbo to APs or just the controller side? I'd assume Jumbo support from AP to controller.

What about when doing PUTN or PPTN with switches? Same situation I'd guess...?

• 2.  RE: JUMBO EVERYWHERE? TUNNEL MODE

Posted Apr 11, 2019 03:09 PM
    Aruba campus AP’s defect the maximum frame size end to end. You can also specifieke the mtu in the ap system profile. By default a mtu of 1500 end to end is fine. The AP en controller will care about the fragmentation and defregmentation.

There is a difference with PUTN and PPTN. Jumbo frames end to end are required because the switches are not able to perform fragmentation. The mtu need to be atleast 1524 bytes because of the gre tunnel.

So for cap’s jumbo frames are not required however for switch port tunneling it is.

• 3.  RE: JUMBO EVERYWHERE? TUNNEL MODE

Posted Apr 15, 2019 12:15 PM

So how do you handle PUTN over WAN/Internet/VPN? Can you lower PUTN GRE Tunnel MTU from the switch? 

• 4.  RE: JUMBO EVERYWHERE? TUNNEL MODE

Posted Apr 15, 2019 02:21 PM
    The short answer this is not possible. Lowering the switch MTU will probably work, however all the systems behind the switch should detect the low MTU. I foresee some issues with this.

There is a lot of discussion about this topic. A switch a completely different from a (R)AP. The AP's will handle all the fragmentation, however the switch not. Another issue can be the delay between the switch and the controller.

With UBT (user based tunneling) the whole concept is based on a campus deployed. So, there is a reliable connection between the switch and controller.

I will advise you to contact your Aruba SE for this.