Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

KDE Connect and Aruba Network

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  KDE Connect and Aruba Network

Posted Mar 12, 2019 03:03 PM

Hello,

Although I've been an "Airheads" for well over an year, this is my first topic.

Until today, I used a Meraki access point on my home network. I have just installed the Aruba access point which I purchased a while ago.

I am using Arch Linux with KDE Plasma on my personal laptop and my phone is an Android device.

KDE connect whoch allows me, amongst other features, to wirelessly transfer files between my laptop and my phone, was warking fine until the access point swap.

According to KDE community:

"KDE Connect uses dynamic ports in the range 1714-1764 for UDP and TCP. So if you are behind a firewall, make sure to open this port range for both TCP and UDP. Otherwise, make sure your network is not blocking UDP broadcast packets.".

I am using Aruba Central to manage the access point and my setup is as below:

Aruba Instant Access Point: IAP-324-WR (6.4.4.4-4.2.3.0_54225)

Laptop with Arch Linux and KDE Plasma (Kernel: Linux 5.0.0-arch1-1-ARCH)

Could anyone point me into how to check / adjust the settings for KDE Connect? Again, the laptop - phone pair was working fine before changing the AP.

Thank you for any feedback you may have.

• 2.  RE: KDE Connect and Aruba Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 02:40 PM

Hi valentin, 

Welcome to the forum. 

How does your role for the clients look like? The role is assigned to every client connected to the SSID and the role normally has the same name as the SSID if you use the default wizard and if you did not change it manually. 

• 3.  RE: KDE Connect and Aruba Network

Posted Mar 14, 2019 06:13 AM

Hi Florian,

Thank you for your reply. The role for both devices, arch-laptop and Android phone is the same as the Name (SSID) / ESSID and, as you said, this was set in the "Wireless Management" app, "Networks" -> "Create a New Network" wizzard.

Valentin

• 4.  RE: KDE Connect and Aruba Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2019 01:39 AM

What is the content of the role? Is it blocking something? 

• 5.  RE: KDE Connect and Aruba Network

Posted Mar 23, 2019 11:04 AM

@ FlorianBaaske:

Since your last reply, I have reset the AP to its factory defaults and I gave up using Aruba Central.

Apart from changing the AP's name, admin password, NTP server, all I did after the reset was to add the following:

1-WLAN_Settings.png

2-VLAN.png

3-Security.png

4-Access.png

@ cclemmer:

Airgroup is not enabled:

5-Airgroup.png

KDEConnect does not use mDNS nor DLNA.

• 6.  RE: KDE Connect and Aruba Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2019 02:15 AM

If you click on the first screenshot page on advanced options, can you check if multicast and broadcast optimization is enabled? 

• 7.  RE: KDE Connect and Aruba Network

Posted Mar 27, 2019 05:26 AM

Here are two screenshots, for the top half of the WLAN Settings window and for the bottom one (I couldnt re-size the window to fully show the content).

1-WLAN_Settings-top.png

1-WLAN_Settings-bottom.png

Cheers!

• 8.  RE: KDE Connect and Aruba Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2019 01:25 AM

what I've seen so far, nothing is blocking your communication. It should work. 

The only thing you can try is to upgrade to the latest 6.5.x release. 

• 9.  RE: KDE Connect and Aruba Network

Posted Apr 05, 2019 04:43 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Florian. The current ArubaOS version on my AP is 8.3.0.6. I would keep this for the time being as I found a solution with KDEConnect by not using it any more (the only reason I was using it was to quickly transfer the photos taken with the phone into the Linux box).

In the meantime I finally reinstated the NextCoud server and now all the files, not only the pictures, are synchronized between all my devices.

• 10.  RE: KDE Connect and Aruba Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2019 11:57 AM

Is AirGroup enabled or broadcast-filtering?

I'm not familiar with KDE Connect and whether it uses mDNS and/or DLNA for discovery, so that may be getting blocked if AirGroup is enabled. Assuming it is not used, broadcast filtering may be stopping this as well.

@valentin wrote:

According to KDE community:

"KDE Connect uses dynamic ports in the range 1714-1764 for UDP and TCP. So if you are behind a firewall, make sure to open this port range for both TCP and UDP. Otherwise, make sure your network is not blocking UDP broadcast packets.".