Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Keeping Employees Off the Guest Network

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Keeping Employees Off the Guest Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 01:35 PM
      |   view attached

The right solution that works in nearly all cases is to use Amigopod and/or Avenda.  For the accounts that only have an Aruba controller based WLAN are there any solutions to this problem?  The answer is maybe.  I have attached some notes I collected over the years on how to do this for three different cases.  If you have any other suggestions I would love to add them to my bag of tricks.

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Keeping Employees Off the Guest Network

Posted Feb 13, 2012 04:32 PM

This is a real tough one because you have to have approval from the top to even enforce this without prejudice.  It's one thing to have policy to say no employees are allowed to use the guest network, it's another to enforce it with something like blacklisting when the C-levels want it for their personal iPhone and you can't say no.

• 3.  RE: Keeping Employees Off the Guest Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 05:18 PM

What's the difference between an employee coming in and connecting to the guest network, or an employee coming in and using 3G/4G on their device? If it is a corp device, the mac address filter option works. But what if it is their own personal device?

One thing I have done on a guest network is block access to the corporate email server (and all other internal access). This way employees trying to connect wont be able to get email. Also, as a fun side effect, as the mobile device keeps trying to connect, it kills the battery in an hour or two. :smileywink:

• 4.  RE: Keeping Employees Off the Guest Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 05:57 PM

@zjennings wrote:

What's the difference between an employee coming in and connecting to the guest network, or an employee coming in and using 3G/4G on their device? If it is a corp device, the mac address filter option works. But what if it is their own personal device?

One thing I have done on a guest network is block access to the corporate email server (and all other internal access). This way employees trying to connect wont be able to get email. Also, as a fun side effect, as the mobile device keeps trying to connect, it kills the battery in an hour or two. :smileywink:

Now that's just wrong.... :(

• 5.  RE: Keeping Employees Off the Guest Network

Posted Feb 14, 2012 02:33 PM

You only get Internet access on our guest network, and it's filtered.  They're not interested in getting to work email on the guest network here, they just want to stream music.