Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

LMS IP Question and what is stored on APs config

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  LMS IP Question and what is stored on APs config

Posted Aug 21, 2019 02:55 AM

Hi,

we have a big centralized controller and several locals.

There are APs terminating on a local controller with LMS IP pointing to that local IP.

No i wanted to move some APs to the centralized controller. So i choose an AP group where LMS IP is not configured. This is our standard config for centralized APs.

AP booted and is part of the new ap group, but it was still connection to the local controller. Local controller and ap are in differen networks. There is a dns entry for master discovery which is valid in wohle network.

I local.

Can you tell me what in detail is stored on local AP flash?

• 2.  RE: LMS IP Question and what is stored on APs config

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2019 05:47 AM

LMS-IP and BackupLMS ip are NOT stored in flash.  They are obtained when an AP first connects to a controller and submits its name and ap-group.  Upon reboot, LMS-IP and backup LMS-ip are lost until the AP boots up and contacts a controller.

If you have a cluster, (ArubaOS 8.x), cluster member ip addresses ARE stored and flash and will survive a reboot.  Once an access point connects to a cluster, it no longer does discovery upon reboot; it connects to one of the cluster member ip addresses.  After it connects to the cluster, it can obtain an LMS-IP that will redirect it to another controller or cluster, but again, the LMS-IP is lost upon reboot.

• 3.  RE: LMS IP Question and what is stored on APs config

Posted Aug 21, 2019 06:29 PM

What version OS? CJoseph is referencing OS 8, but by your question you are referencing local controllers, so it appears you are not using OS 8.

• 4.  RE: LMS IP Question and what is stored on APs config
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2019 07:47 PM

If you console into an AP and break at the apboot> prompt, type "printenv" and you will be able to see what variables survive a reboot.  LMS-ip and Backup LMS-ip are only obtained by an access point after they find a controller through discovery, and submit their ap-name and ap-group to that controller.  Those variables are not stored in the AP and will not survive a reboot.  

This applies to all versions of ArubaOS.

• 5.  RE: LMS IP Question and what is stored on APs config

Posted Aug 22, 2019 01:23 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

If you console into an AP and break at the apboot> prompt, type "printenv" and you will be able to see what variables survive a reboot.  LMS-ip and Backup LMS-ip are only obtained by an access point after they find a controller through discovery, and submit their ap-name and ap-group to that controller.  Those variables are not stored in the AP and will not survive a reboot.  

This applies to all versions of ArubaOS.

Ok thanks for your answeres.

I am talking about Version 6.5 of AOS.

Regarding to your last message. AP namen and group is stored in AP configuration and will survive a reboot right?

• 6.  RE: LMS IP Question and what is stored on APs config

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2019 05:57 AM
    Yes.