Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Laptop cannot connect to 5Ghz channel 140

Hi, our surface tablet cannot connect to 5 ghz on channel 140 and 144. We are using a  Aruba 7210 controller and AP315.

It's working for other type of laptop and other channels for the surface.

It's also did some test with a IAP on those channels and it works.

So what could I be doing on the controller that certain channels are not seen by the surface pro ? 

The surface is using a Marvell Avastar. Microsoft support just had me update to the latest driver with no effect.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: Laptop cannot connect to 5Ghz channel 140

If you are certain that the device does not the channels in question, then you can remove them from the Regulatory Domain Profile.

show ap regulatory-domain-profile

I've personally not had any exposure to the Marvell Avastar chipset, so cannot confirm the supported channels. A packet capture of the association conversation would provide us with the supported channel list.

ACMP, ACSA, ACDX #985
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)

Do you see the bssid on those channels?

You can use a windows tool like WinFi lite to see a complete list of all bssid's in range.

- - - - Aruba ACCX #748, ACDX #758, ACMP, ACEAP | HPE Master ASE - - - -
- - - - - - - Feel free to give kudos or accept as a solution! - - - - - - - - -
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Channel 144 is not supported on most surfaces (except of the Pro6). When using channelbonding 40mhz channels channel 144 is aggeregated with channel 140 and therefore dont can be used to.

See the excelent database create by Mike Albano that do a create work on this.

https://clients.mikealbano.com/

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Occasional Contributor II

Why would a particular channel not be supported on a particular device? Driver issue, hardware restriction?

MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Its a hardware restricions of the wirelles chipset used in your Surface.

More info:

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/articles/80211ac-144-channel-support/

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: