Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Laptop sending deauth

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Laptop sending deauth

Posted Feb 13, 2014 12:17 AM

Hi,

We are seeing some strange behaviour on our laptops running Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 all using Intel Wireless card 6300, 6205 and 6235

Wireless setup is SSID -> WPA2 AES -> Computer Certificate -> RADIUS (Microsoft NPS)

The laptop is associating, going through authentication successfully, receives an IP address and then de-authenticates.

It goes through this process x amount of times (x being random) until finally it connects.

Controller logs show:

Feb 13 15:51:29 :501065:  <DBUG> |stm|  send_ageout_sta_ack 8157: Send ageout sta 8c:70:5a:86:09:6c ack back to AP (172.16.13.200)
    Feb 13 15:51:29 :501114:  <NOTI> |stm|  Deauth from sta: 8c:70:5a:86:09:6c: AP 172.16.13.200-00:24:6c:cb:86:c0-J-Block

Within a packet capture of the laptop the last packet we see is DHCP REPLY from the wireless controller to the client and then many probe response packets until the process is tried again.

I've also tried with a static IP on the laptop to rule out anything with DHCP

We are running code 6.1.3.7 on a 6000 series controller

Any ideas ?

• 2.  RE: Laptop sending deauth

Posted Feb 13, 2014 03:13 AM
    You probably done this but have you tried updating the drivers from the intel site ?

• 3.  RE: Laptop sending deauth

Posted Feb 13, 2014 05:01 AM

Hi thanks for the reply, yes we have tried all the latest intel drivers on both 3 cards with and without Intel Proset but we are still experiencing the same problem.

I'm not sure why the station is sending deauth or what reason it is doing so ?

• 4.  RE: Laptop sending deauth

Posted Feb 13, 2014 08:11 AM

I have seen these before when the device is roaming to another AP but there's other reason too, can you check the roaming settings on your intel drivers to see if those are set to be to aggressive. 

2014-02-12 09_57_10-10.44.26.11_22 - Tera Term VT.png

Another thing you could check is the authentication process when this is occuring :

show auth-tracebuf | include <device mac> 

logging level debugging user-debug <device mac>

Have you guys made any changes recently ? 

Are you only seen this with Win 8 devices ?

show log user-debug 100 

You should open a TAC case in parallel 

• 5.  RE: Laptop sending deauth

Posted Feb 13, 2014 06:01 PM

I'm seeing this issue as well on a RAP.  Drivers were not too old and roaming isn't even a consideration.  Curious to know if you're able to find a solution.

• 6.  RE: Laptop sending deauth
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 14, 2014 08:15 PM

Hi,

We have found a solution that seems to work for us.

I've blogged a full post of my troubleshooting and list of commands that I used here:

http://www.sysadmintutorials.com/wireless-station-deauth/

The problem was with the Windows 8.1 driver. Normally you would think installing the latest drivers would fix and enhance certain problems with the client wireless, however this does not seem to be the case with these Intel cards and Windows 8.1.

We ended up using the oldest Intel driver that we would find on the intel site for the Intel 6205 and 6300 and that would intstall or work into Windows 8.1. We then test each one driver until we did not see the problem any more.

In the end we ended up with a driver package from Windows 7 that installed into Windows 8.1 from 2012

I hope this helps you guys out

• 7.  RE: Laptop sending deauth

Posted Feb 16, 2014 02:16 PM

Great write up!  Thanks for the post.

• 8.  RE: Laptop sending deauth

Posted Feb 17, 2014 09:39 PM

Hi David,

Cna you advise which driver version did you use to solve the problem? You mention it is compatible to both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

• 9.  RE: Laptop sending deauth

Posted Feb 18, 2014 06:18 PM

The drivers we used for the Intel 6300 card was this package:

Wireless_15.3.1_Ds64.exe

Let us know if it also resolves the issue for you as well

• 10.  RE: Laptop sending deauth

Posted Feb 18, 2014 08:01 PM

Thanks David, will try and advise.:smileyhappy: