Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Large Instant Deployment

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Large Instant Deployment

Posted Mar 10, 2013 01:13 AM

We are looking to install about 175 AP's in a single campus building. There are about 2900 students in the building and we will be doing a BYOD. Is it even feasible to look at IAP or should we focus on a controller solution?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• 2.  RE: Large Instant Deployment

Posted Mar 10, 2013 05:29 AM

There is a maximum of 1024 concurrent clients limit per Instant cluster (and a max of 16 IAP per cluster if you are using IAP-92/93), which you should take into account.

Based on the numbers I would vote for controller based solution.

• 3.  RE: Large Instant Deployment

Posted Mar 10, 2013 06:44 AM

Hi,

Lets start by saying:

You can easily build a network of 500 users or 1000 users with instants.

the number you wrote,It's a large number of users (2900) - i would consider to use a controller for handling this amount of traffic. (+ ClearPass for BYOD and AirWave for monitoring/reporting/maintenance)

• As the above post mentioned the iAP are capable to support limit user number per VC(Virtual Controller) group.
    • Check the AAA method / Encryption methods needed for different ssid u might deploy in the future.
    • You can consider building a mixed solution including iAP units and mobility controller.

Capture.PNG

Here some clients: with mixed environment:

Capturehjkhk.PNG

That's it.

Have a lovely weekend.

Me

• 4.  RE: Large Instant Deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2013 07:44 AM

@Fred Rodgers wrote:

We are looking to install about 175 AP's in a single campus building. There are about 2900 students in the building and we will be doing a BYOD. Is it even feasible to look at IAP or should we focus on a controller solution?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Fred, I would contact your local Aruba SE to see if it is feasible.

The controller hardware has definitely been handling these numbers for much longer and it definitely has more features for the same reasons.  Based on the numbers  you mention, make sure you speak to someone about your specific design goals to ensure your network can even support those numbers without having to rearchitect.

Smaller networks are less complex and don't require as many features and flexibility.  Larger networks require more planning ahead of time to ensure that you meet your user, management and level of service goals.