Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Large client base - vlan pools or large subnet

Each building does have it's own AP Group and the virtual AP for our standard campus ssid is currently configured to use the same named vlan (this is the pool).  When we move to a single vlan per building a vlan specific virtual AP will have to be configured per building.  Am I wrong in this logic?

Thanks

Highlighted
Guru Elite

If you intend to recycle your Virtual APs exactly how you have them now, yes.

If you create Virtual APs specifically for the new larger VLANs and replace the old with the new, no.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted

We would be creating new virtual APs for each building.

Are you suggesting that the larger single vlan for the entire campus is the best option, provided that all of the broadcast and multicast optimizations are correctly configured?

Thanks

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Why would you create a separate Virtual AP per building?

The larger single VLAN is a good option, provided that you have fiber everywhere and a router that will accept all of the mac addresses that you would be bridging to it.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted

"Why would you create a separate Virtual AP per building?"

Maybe I'm a little behind the time and still have a fresh memory of the large flat network with loops and all sorts of issues.  Aside from my bias against large subnets, a building based vlan provides us the options of providing customized services to departments or groups. 

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Nezz,

What you are planning to do is just fine.  The person who started this thread wanted to create very large VLANs that spanned multiple buildings, and we are providing support for people who would seek to do that in this thread.

If a VLAN is only wireless, there should not be a potential for a loop.  Wired and wireless clients would not share the same VLAN.  Wireless "Broadcasts" from clients are first sent unicast to the controller, where they should be dropped.  Using a larger VLAN would enable many organizations to eliminate the "slack" created when VLANs are created per building and allows the organization to leverage a single pool of addresses, sized to the consumption of the larger group.  While bulding-based VLANs would provide customized applications for wired applications, there are quite a few users who would connect to access points in that building who do not belong there and never access resources there.  In the all wireless world the ip address will end up being just a means to deliver traffic to a client that requested it.  With that being said, of course wired clients and assets will have fixed addresses assigned to them where they are located, but there is little need for wireless clients to have that restriction.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos

Cjoseph,

Actually, this thread is relative to my alternative architecture/issue.  After reading several other threads related to broadcast, multicast, and vlan pooling, I finally get the picture.  And as another contributor suggested in a different thread:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NightShade1 wrote:

“Thanks for the explanation.

It would be nice if that explanation where in some part of the VRDs.. they just mention that we should use vlan pools for this, and well thats what i have been doing, i did also turn  drop broadcast and multicast when broadcast and multicast are not needed in the enviroment.ghtShade1 wrote:”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that the simplicity and functionality of a single large vlan appears to be a better solution.  The idea of a dedicated vlan per building came about because the vlan pooling is not working for us.  I’m sure that there are others who may share the same bias towards large subnets as I did.

Please have someone contact me as well so that “I don’t have to corner my Aruba SE”.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Nezz,

Quite frankly, the "single large subnet" approach is very new.  It also goes completely against what people think of large subnets, so it will not show up in a VRD anytime soon until we can validate it with more deployments.  We do have it running in quite a few environments, currently, but we are trying to make sure that users that do it, have proper information on what to avoid and how to configure it.  All of that information is in this thread here.  It is not complicated conceptually.

Again, your deployment seeks to put a VLAN per building.  We are looking for people who are looking to do a VLAN for an entire campus.  Again, this is a cutting edge approach and we definitely want to counsel users who would like to take the single large VLAN for an entire campus approach.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted

Cjoseph,

Now that I'm are aware that a single large vlan is a feasible option I would like to pursue it.  So please have someone contact me or would you like for me to open a TAC case?

Thanks

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Nezz,

I will PM you.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: