Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

License Failover

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  License Failover

Posted Apr 07, 2015 12:15 PM

Hi I have 2 x 7210 Controller, i was told to use Centralized Licesne.

my Question, if this Controller fails, how will the other Controller get the Licenses ?

• 2.  RE: License Failover

Posted Apr 07, 2015 12:28 PM

How are these two controller configured? Master Standby, Master Local?

"License server redundancy is already available since Master-standby redundancy is configured"

If they are configured as a Master-Standby then te license redundancy should happen automatically.

You can enabled Licensing redundancy on VRRP pairs, i am not sure if there is any way to do it to from a Master to a Local.

_ELiasz

• 3.  RE: License Failover

Posted Apr 07, 2015 12:33 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply, to be honest i still didnt configure the second controller as this was another question.

so when i'm starting the basic start config of the second controller, shall i make it as Master or Standby ?

• 4.  RE: License Failover

Posted Apr 07, 2015 12:38 PM

I guess it depends what you are looking to accomplish.

Do you need a controller for redundancy, at a local Layer 2 network? If so your best option is to enable is as a standby-master. This way it will sync all configurations. When you enable redundancy with VRRP, all devices should connect to the virtual IP address. If the Primary master goes down, the VRRP IP address will flip to the standby, and it will promote itself to master state. All APs can then fail over to the device .

If these controller need to be service clients at the same time, i think you will need to configure it as a Local controller. If the Local is in the same L2 network as your master, you should be able to still setup Centralized licensing redundancy. If they are in sepearte L3 network, I am not sure of the best approach, but i have a feeling centralized licensing wouldn't work for that.

Long story short, i believe you will want to setup the second controller as a standby, and install it in the same vlan as the master.

_ELiasz

• 5.  RE: License Failover

Posted Apr 07, 2015 12:43 PM

Perfect, thanks a lot for your reply, now i have my main controller active with IP X.X.X.252 and i enabled VRRP with VIP of X.X.X.254 and i started configuring some APs, so the APs they already got the IP of the controller to be X.X.X.252.

now when i will setup the second controller as per your recommendation as a standy-master, will it have the automatic failover automatically ?

or do i need to reset the APs to get the X.X.X.254 VIP ?

• 6.  RE: License Failover
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 07, 2015 01:10 PM

You should configure the APs to connect to the VRRP ip address. Then in a failover they will be able to switch to the secondary with no intervention. You should be able to set this under the primary LMS option on the AP Group.

Configuration > AP Group > Edit "Your AP Group Here"

From there go to AP > AP System.

This may cause the APs to Reboot as they need to bootstrap against the new IP. Alternativly you can just re-provision the devices to the new IP.

You will need to configure the second controller as a standby master. Then under Configuration > Advanced > Redundancy you will need to configure VRRP on your primary vlan(or all vlans if you want), as well as the Master redundancy settings(this may be done in the wizard, i dont remember). Whenever the VRRP fails over, the master functionality should follow.

_ELiasz