Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Licenses required for Dual controller setup

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Licenses required for Dual controller setup

Posted Mar 02, 2018 03:54 PM

Hello,

Not sure if this question has been asked here before.

I've got a requirement to install 2 aruba controllers 7010 to provide redundancy for 30 APs (AP-305) using Controller Policy Enforcement Firewall.

If i understood correctly . for controller redundancy , the controllers can be setup either in VRRP or HA mode. right?

My question is , how many AP licenses and PEF licenses should i buy for the controllers in the following mode:

1) In VRRP Mode

2) HA

Thank you,

• 2.  RE: Licenses required for Dual controller setup

Posted Mar 02, 2018 04:30 PM

It really comes down to how many APs you plan to deploy, and your redundancy model. 

If an active/active model is desired, you would typically want to half load your APs on the controllers, but should only require 30 licenses total for either model of licensing (standalone or centralized). The caveat is that if you run centralized licensing, I believe it requires VRRP as it requires your controllers be in the same layer 2 for the standby license server. Below is a link to a really good guide describing this in more detail.  

https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/Aruba-VRDs/88/1/Campus%20WLAN%20Redundancy%20VRD.pdf

I highly recommend looking into the new licensing bundle though, as you may be able to get better pricing going that route.  

• 3.  RE: Licenses required for Dual controller setup

Posted Mar 02, 2018 11:42 PM

Hello,

the 2 controllers will be deployed in L2 ( connected on same switch) and i am not planning on deploying active-active. I want the backup to sit idle.

Although my users will be connected to different vlans ( 2 vlans : 1 guest and 1 employees)

The active-standby model using VRRP is recommended in this situation right?

Again only 30 AP licenses/30 PEF licenses for all controllers. Can you please confirm that?

Note : Its for a tender and the customer is not expecting to add any more APs in the future. So I just have to design the setup for 30 APs.

Thank you,

• 4.  RE: Licenses required for Dual controller setup
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 03, 2018 11:32 AM

Thats correct, it will only require 30 licenses for both AP and PEF total. 

• 5.  RE: Licenses required for Dual controller setup

Posted Mar 03, 2018 01:07 PM

thank you

• 6.  RE: Licenses required for Dual controller setup

Posted Mar 03, 2018 01:11 PM

Sure thing!  Glad to be of help. If you have a chance, I highly recommend looking into the licensing bundle (JW471AAE) as well. 

@Davidoswrote:

thank you

• 7.  RE: Licenses required for Dual controller setup

Posted Jan 02, 2024 08:49 AM

Need one clarification , i have one stand alone 7010 WLC with out MM/MC , now im going to add one more WLC and enable local redundancy  in Active-Standby VRRP Mode . My controller is running on 8.11.0.1 IOS , and i have 30 AP and PEF lincese on the existing WLC . So when i order new WLC do we need to consider additional 30 AP and PEF license or existing 30 AP and PEF license can be uses in standby WLC , please be note that im not using any Mobility conductor in our setup .

• 8.  RE: Licenses required for Dual controller setup

Posted Mar 02, 2018 10:22 PM
    no need to double the licenses. still 30. take note HA and centralized licensing config are 2 separate configurations.

• 9.  RE: Licenses required for Dual controller setup

Posted Mar 03, 2018 11:30 AM
    Hi,
    By enabling centralized licensing in both modes required only 30 AP+PEF.

Thanks,

• 10.  RE: Licenses required for Dual controller setup

Posted Jan 07, 2024 12:28 PM

Thanks for the clarification, if the active box down is there any limitation for the number of the days Standby box can hold the license ?