Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Limit access to chromecast to only clients on same ap.

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Limit access to chromecast to only clients on same ap.

Posted Aug 15, 2017 10:17 AM

Hi. I'm all new to Aruba and need some help. My setup is like this:

I have one 7005 controller and two 303h aps. Connected to one ap I have a chromecast trough wire. I have successfully set up the chromecast and can now access it from wifi clients from both aps. Both aps and chromecast is on same vlan. Both aps are wired to controller.

What I want to accieve is to limit the access to the chromecast to only clients on the same ap as the chromecast. So when I move out of the room and roam to the other ap I would lose access to the chromecast.

Is this possible and how?

Best regards

Bjorn

• 2.  RE: Limit access to chromecast to only clients on same ap.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2017 12:40 PM

Currently you can only limit it to that AP And the APs that neighbor that AP.  

• 3.  RE: Limit access to chromecast to only clients on same ap.

Posted Aug 15, 2017 02:44 PM
    Ok. Thanks. Is it because they are in same vlan? Just trying to understand. I was told Aruba could do this. Kind of disappointing it doesn't.

#AirheadsMobile

• 4.  RE: Limit access to chromecast to only clients on same ap.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2017 03:11 PM

@BjornHBrudeli wrote:
    Ok. Thanks. Is it because they are in same vlan? Just trying to understand. I was told Aruba could do this. Kind of disappointing it doesn't.

#AirheadsMobile

That is because users are not always on the AP that they want to be when they are in a room.  ClearPass can limit it only to when a user is on a specific AP, but again just because you are in a specific room, does not mean that you are on the AP that you want it to be.  It could be annoying if you are in the room and you cannot see a device.  With that being said, if the user roams, it will not cut the user's stream off.  This only works for initial discovery of a device.  Once the user is connected, the user typically will stay connected, even if they roam, unless they disconnect from the device..

• 5.  RE: Limit access to chromecast to only clients on same ap.

Posted Aug 15, 2017 09:47 PM

thanks Colin Joseph, that cleared it up for me as well.

• 6.  RE: Limit access to chromecast to only clients on same ap.

Posted Aug 15, 2017 03:00 PM
    Could Clearpass solve this?

#AirheadsMobile

• 7.  RE: Limit access to chromecast to only clients on same ap.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2017 03:06 PM

ClearPass would allow you to define user and group policies for each device allowing them to be seen by the registered owner or the groups and locations that have been defined.