Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Local HA Controllers Move

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Local HA Controllers Move

Posted Dec 21, 2016 04:03 PM

Fellow Airheads,

I have a pair of local controllers (7210s) in an HA setup (fast failover with state sync) that I need to move to another site. I will need to re-IP everything at the new location and was wondering if there is a good sequence to move these and also minimize downtime? I was thinking the sequence would be:

1. Move standby controller

2. Re-IP and re-configure to be new active, create new AP group with this as primary LMS, and create new HA group

3. Re-assign APs to new group and cause re-registration to new active- downtime would be limited to AP reboot time

4. Move former active controller

5. Re-IP and re-configure to be new standby

6. Add both controllers to new HA group

Thoughts? Anyone have a better sequence of events?

• 2.  RE: Local HA Controllers Move

Posted Dec 21, 2016 04:44 PM
    Thats a good plan.

If you are planning on keeping the same config and code for the move , you could also remove the old IP from HA and add the new one of the standby that way the APs will be a standby tunnel to the standby controller and that way if the active controller goes away the APs will transition to the other controller .

Can the master support APs ?

• 3.  RE: Local HA Controllers Move

Posted Dec 21, 2016 06:02 PM
    Yes, the config and code will be the same and will be rejoined to the same master cluster. Since I am using HA, do the LMS and bkup LMS in the system profile no longer matter? I would prefer to keep the same AP group if possible. And yes, I have a 7210 master and am using centralized licensing.

#AirheadsMobile