Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Locating an Access Point

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Locating an Access Point

Posted Nov 11, 2013 07:39 PM

Greetings. Any tips for locating an access point's physical location by looking at info on the controller or access point. I know I can run ARP MAC tables but I'd have many switches and that could take awhile. Is there any where in the APs info where is can see neigboring access points or something like that?

Thanks for any info.

~Bill

• 2.  RE: Locating an Access Point
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2013 10:24 PM

On the commandline, you can type: "show ap monitor ap-list ap-name <name of access point>".  That will provide a list of access points that the access point can see and the average RSSI (signal strength).  You can then attempt to locate that AP by the access points that have the strongest signal relative to that AP.

• 3.  RE: Locating an Access Point

Posted Nov 12, 2013 03:30 PM

THank you! I was able to pull up the listing and I can obviously see where the closest 5 Access Points are....except...it displays the BSSIDS and I've yet to find how I can seach for which AP is using that BSSID. I can see the BSSIDs of a radio by looking at the 'Overview" of it in the web interface but that's the only place I've found to view it. Any further thoughts?

Thank you again for the help!!

• 4.  RE: Locating an Access Point
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 13, 2013 12:03 AM

Using the CLI, you can type show ap bss-table bssid bssid_here which will give you the AP name for that BSSID.

• 5.  RE: Locating an Access Point

Posted Nov 13, 2013 09:50 AM

THank you VERY much!! Worked perfectly!

• 6.  RE: Locating an Access Point

Posted Feb 16, 2018 12:20 AM

Is there a way to find out LAN MAC Address from BSSID?  I know we can derive BSSID from LAN MAC Address?  Is there a way to do the reverse?  Thanls

• 7.  RE: Locating an Access Point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2018 06:45 AM

"show ap bss-table" will show you all of the wifi mac addresses.

Using "show ap database long" will give you a list of all of the wired mac addresses of access points.