Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for new DHCP fingerprints

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Looking for new DHCP fingerprints

Posted May 09, 2019 06:38 PM

Has anyone got a list of DHCP fingerprints option 55 for new mobile operating systems?

Looking for Android ver 4 - 8 phones and tabs, iPads (not sure if it changed since generation 1).

I know it was not changed for iphone since generation 1: 37017903060f77fc

Thanks

Alex

• 2.  RE: Looking for new DHCP fingerprints

Posted May 26, 2019 10:53 PM

You might want to try www.fingerbank.org. You may find it there.

• 3.  RE: Looking for new DHCP fingerprints

Posted May 27, 2019 06:12 AM

you can get it from below website as well.

https://www.excitingip.com/4513/dhcp-fingerprinting-identify-device-type-vendor-and-os/

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/DHCP-FINGERPRINTING-WITH-Aruba-Instant/ta-p/183272

DHCP Fingerprinting

DHCP Fingerprinting is a method of detecting the end device OS based on the dhcp exchange packets. In today's network where we are talking about IoE , BYOD it is required to identify the devices in your network and mark them accordingly.

Why do we need Fingerprinting:
    ========================

With BYOD personal devices are making their way into the workplace, and it is a tough job for the network administrators to dynamically detect these devices and make sure these devices are compliant and to enforce required polices on these devices. Detecting the devices type/OS is also part of the play.

Due to the proliferation of BYOD (Bring Your Own Devices)/mobile devices connecting mostly over the Wireless Network, it becomes difficult to identify and control the types of devices that can connect to the network, and once connected, to determine what access privileges they might have.

With DHCP Fingerprinting, DHCP Servers or devices like IPAM Controllers or Wireless Controllers, can use DHCP Fingerprinting to identify the device type, manufacturer name and OS of the clients/devices connecting to the network, categorize them into ACLs, and control which device can connect to the network and what it can do.

How it works:
    ===========

DHCP Fingerprinting is one of the methods that help us in identifying the OS on the devices bases on the dhcp option.

• 4.  RE: Looking for new DHCP fingerprints

Posted May 27, 2019 10:06 AM
      |   view attached

BTW, if you want to fingerprint the devices yourself, attached is a presentation I put together many years ago on how to do it and also how to create a user rule and conditions. Some of it may be outdated, but i believe most of it is still valid.

I hope this helps,

Attachment(s)

pptx
    DHCP Fingerprinting2.pptx   3.63 MB 1 version