Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Lost access to internet, error 403 landing page

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Lost access to internet, error 403 landing page

Posted Aug 24, 2020 01:07 PM

i am super lost here and hoping there is an airhead out there that can help. 

We have 3 aruba access points running a guest network at a remote office. Out of the blue the guest network stopped working. i have dont everything i know to try- restarted APs. checked for updates, restarted the POE switch that runs the APs. restarted the cisco core swtich that the AP switch plugs into...

i should mention. this has been working literally for months. and then just one day it stopped. it may be an ISP thing, but i do not believe that to be the case. i beleive in that office we have 2 ISPS. one for our internal/WAN. and one for an old MPLS line, that we kept to route guest wifi through. this is just a guess though. 

I did see that the master controller was using a NTP server that was deleted. i updated it. but it still does not work. the users and computers can still see the SSID of the network and connect to it. but when they go to a webpage they get this access denied error 403 message page, not a normal no internet connection page- im guessing because uplink is not enforced? 

I am just lost at this point and have no idea how to check like outbound access status from the controller page. everything on the controller page appears normal with no errors of any kind. 

thanks for any help out there. 

• 2.  RE: Lost access to internet, error 403 landing page

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 24, 2020 02:08 PM

HTTP 403 Forbidden client error status response code indicates that the server understood the request but it refuses to authorize it (client is not allowed to access this resource)

It is not an issue with the network as the server already replied and sent back the 403 status!

What URL are you trying to access? Did you try to clear the browser cache? Try from a different browser? Try a different URL on the server you are trying to access? Try to access a different website?

• 3.  RE: Lost access to internet, error 403 landing page

Posted Aug 24, 2020 03:23 PM

yes i did try all that. something odd happening here. i changed the wifi password. and then got on a machine and joined the network with the new password. I am able to now splashtop remote to that computer, and it has not dropped off on me. 

the minute i changed the password back. and i try the same thing. i can splashtop to that device. but as soon as more than 5-10 devices get reconnected. i lose my remote session and it never comes back online. 

there is no captive portal type page with a login. but it is acting almost like it is. 

something even more strange now. i can fully search google. but it will not connect to any of the search result web pages. it did connect to speedtest.net for some reason. lol. 

• 4.  RE: Lost access to internet, error 403 landing page

Posted Aug 24, 2020 03:25 PM

and yes i have tried many pages. like i said i can google anything but cannot click any webpages from the result. 

different browsers same result too. 

im not trying to access a server. just external web browsing from guest devices/ iphones. etc. 

• 5.  RE: Lost access to internet, error 403 landing page

Posted Aug 24, 2020 03:27 PM

forgot to mention. i can ping websites. 

for example if i type in wikipedia in my chrome bar. it returns results. 

if i click the wikipedia link. nothing. 

however i can ping wikipedia.com just fine from that computer on the guest network. 

• 6.  RE: Lost access to internet, error 403 landing page

Posted Aug 24, 2020 03:31 PM

sorry for all the replies. but now something even weirder. 

when i am in chrome. i can do google.com no problem. 

when i am in IE. and do google.com i get the access denied 403 again. 

• 7.  RE: Lost access to internet, error 403 landing page

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2020 03:26 AM

Could it be that you have rules based on Web category or Web reputation in your role?

Which role are the users in, when they see this behavior?

What are the settings for that role (show rights <rolename> on the CLI)?