Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 26, 2018 03:27 AM

Hi.

We have a system with: Controller 7010 ArubaOS 6.5.4.4 and 13 access points Aruba AP 305.
    At the first time system worked in Instant mode (Virtual Controller) and working was fine.

But when we connected our ap`s with Controller 7010  we get the trouble with 2,4Gz mode. Realy speed of 2,4Gz mode was 0.5-1 Mbps for all users.
    When we back to Instant mode of Controller, problem is resolving.

We also tested 2,4Gz mode on Controller 7010 with anothers AP`s.
    For example, when we use AP-103 with the same configurations as on AP-305 then non trouble detected on 2,4Gz mode. AP was only replacing and without any reconfigurations.

We also tested different ArubaOS 6.5.4.0 / ArubaOS 6.5.4.4 and get the same bad result.

Now we don`t understand why that is happen. Trouble with only 2,4Gz mode and only on AP-305.
    Can you help us with this issue?

• 2.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2018 03:59 AM

We need more information.  The default configuration for Instant and controllers is different.  

On the controller, go to the Dashboard and get a printscreen of Dashboard> Performance.

• 3.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 26, 2018 08:42 AM
      |   view attached

Ok.

Now I am connected 1 my AP-305 to Controller with test SSID. It`s because i don`t can transfer my working client to not working network.
    If any client go to my test WLAN, he get the same low speed as 0.5 Mbs

If you want to see quality of channel, pls see in attachment.
    or what do you want to see ?

• 4.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2018 09:25 AM

Channel Busy on the 2.4ghz band for that access point is already between 40 and 50% which is already bad for a single access point.  Adding more access points will make that worse.  Do you have other wifi deployed in the area?

• 5.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 26, 2018 09:47 AM

For now in this area i have my 12 AP-305, what is now working fine and connected via Virtual Controller. Also in area we are see another`s AP our neighbors.

And what is interesting, that only client connected to our tested AP-305 vs Controller7010 has bad result of speed.

Any client and guest who connected now to our another AP on 2,4Gz in this place has fine work and good speed.

Now we don`t plane adding more access points but we want to our 13 ap`s be in working mode with our Controller 7010.

• 6.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 26, 2018 09:50 AM

That is strange. Have you tried disabling the low data rates in the controller?

Kevin

• 7.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 26, 2018 10:04 AM
      |   view attached

Hi, Kevin

Low data rates - it was a first moment what i disabled.

Configuration > AP Group > Edit "default" > WLAN > Virtual AP > SSID > Advanced

Screen in attachment

Have any ideas for me to next step ?

• 8.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 26, 2018 10:17 AM

Thanks for your reply.

This behavior seems to be a bit strange. As a next step, I would implement some best practices in RF (I know the documents may be a bit old, but the principles should still apply)

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/RF-and-Roaming-Optimization-for-Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/227716

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/RF-Optimization-best-practices/ta-p/175714

Kevin

• 9.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2018 10:29 AM

@Ihor S wrote:

For now in this area i have my 12 AP-305, what is now working fine and connected via Virtual Controller. Also in area we are see another`s AP our neighbors.

And what is interesting, that only client connected to our tested AP-305 vs Controller7010 has bad result of speed.

Any client and guest who connected now to our another AP on 2,4Gz in this place has fine work and good speed.

Now we don`t plane adding more access points but we want to our 13 ap`s be in working mode with our Controller 7010.

In the Virtual AP configuration for the hardware controller, do you have "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast" enabled?  That would stop broadcasts from propagating from the wired to the wireless network and possibly causing your issue.

• 10.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 26, 2018 10:46 AM

Kevin,

I have this problem not one day.
    And believe to resolve it i have done many reconfigure. Result still bad.

Also i noticed next situation.
    When i replace connected AP from AP-305 to AP-103 on Controller7010 without any reconfiguration in WLAN (only replaced AP`s) then problem with 2,4Gz was fixed.

That what i have:
    1. Thirteen AP-305 with Controller 7010 not working fine
    2. One AP-305 with Controller 7010 not working fine

But

3. Thirteen AP-305 in Instant mode working fine
    4. One AP-103 with Controller 7010 working fine

and info for Colin
    I don`t may enable "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast", because than all my wired printers and phones are down in my network (users don`t see them). Also when I tested it than don`t have any result with speed on 2,4Gz mode.

• 11.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2018 10:55 AM

On the instant cluster, do you have "broadcast filter arp" or "broadcast filter all" enabled on your SSIDs?

• 12.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 26, 2018 11:19 AM

On the instant cluster, i have "broadcast filter -> arp" enabled on my SSIDs.

• 13.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 27, 2018 01:43 AM

Do you have any updates?

• 14.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2018 09:00 AM

If you have broadcast filtering on your instant cluster, but NOT on your controller-based Virtual AP, you will have high utilization, due to all the broadcasts coming out of the controller-based access point.

• 15.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 27, 2018 10:19 AM

1. We have the next configurations of broadcast filtering on the Instant Cluster and on Controller 7010.
    See screens in attachment.

2. Why did the AP-103 work fine on Controller7010, but not AP-305
    Only when we connect our APs 103 in place of APs 305 then the problem of 2.4Gz mode is fix.

3. Why did one AP-305 via Cotroller7010 don`t working normal (only 0,5...1 Mbs)

• 16.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2018 11:40 AM

On the controller, you need to enable "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast".

You have too many variables to explain anything right now.  You need to enable Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast first and then retest.

• 17.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Mar 28, 2018 11:27 AM

Hi Colin

I did what you said.

1. I activated  "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast" - (screen name "Dr_Br_enable")

2. Next i connected AP-305 to Controller7010. (screen name "AP305_UP")

3. Then i connected my test pc to WLAN and test the speed (screen name "SPEED_on_AP305")

*** Dashboard when AP-305 is connected, you can see on screens "AP305_UP_Dashboard" and "AP305_UP_Dashboard_2".

4. My next step was disconnect AP-305 and connect AP-103. (screen name "AP103_UP").
    ***Pls note, I do not change any configurations. I am ONLY replace AP in same position where was AP-305 instaled.

5. Now i test speed and get next result (screen name "SPEED_on_AP103")
    *** Dashboard when AP-103 is connected, you can see on "AP103_UP_Dashboard" and "AP103_UP_Dashboard_2".

Your recomendation not help me.
    Have any other ideas?

All this time, test PC was in one place and do not migrate.
    "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast" was enabled in both tests.

Colin, also you can see that such parametrs as "Client Health" and "Goodput" are very low on AP-305. On AP-103 i never see such a bad result of this parametrs.

I am waiting for updates from you

• 18.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2018 12:52 PM

I think you should open a TAC case.  We are missing information.

Information on how to open a case is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/

• 19.  RE: Low speed on 2,4Gz mode

Posted Oct 19, 2018 04:21 AM

Hi,

Did this resolv in any luck with the TAC-Case?

We have exactly the same problem and had TAC involved without any luck.
    They basically did what you said here. All accesspoints except AP-305 works well in 2.4ghz.
    We've changed from AP-105 to AP-305 for all our customers and all have problems. If we change back to AP-105 its all fine. 

Dont really know what to do next. Seems lika an issue when IAP-305 gets connected to a controller.

So if you have any news, please share. Thank you!