Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Lync SDN API & Lync Edge Server and SRC-NAT

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Lync SDN API & Lync Edge Server and SRC-NAT

Posted Sep 25, 2014 03:18 PM

Hi Airheads

Is anyone able to help me?  Does the Lync SDN API need to be installed on the Lync Edge Server as well as the Lync Front End servers?  I can't find any reference stating that it should however we've deployed a solution where clients using two of the customer's SSIDs, a corp and a phone SSID, are using Lync.

Corp clients using Lync 2013 whereas the phone clients use Lync Mobile.  I can see the corp clients Lync calls getting classified correctly however there no calls on the phone SSID are being classified.

The Corp clients speak to the Lync front end server where the SDN API is installed, whereas the mobile clients speak to Edge Server.  This made me think that maybe the SDN API needs to be installed on the Edge Server also, though there is no documentation to support this so I could be barking up the wrong tree.

An alternative thought that came to me was the Master and Local controllers have a public IP with the default route being this network, static routes point internal for the internal corp networks.  The phone SSID is SRC-NAT'd via the public IP interface, it was designed this way so that the phones would use Lync Edge Server though I'm sure I read somewhere that the API won't work with src-nat.  Is that correct?  If so will the heuristics method work with src-nat?  We're running 6.4 so can use both.  I will try this tomorrow anyway.

I've also just read the Validated Reference Design for Aruba Lync which does suggest an alternative way of handling the phone traffic, BYOD traffic in the VRD which could solve our issues and also help with the round-trip.

Thanks in advance

Mark

• 2.  RE: Lync SDN API & Lync Edge Server and SRC-NAT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2014 03:21 PM

It needs to be installed on the FE servers.

• 3.  RE: Lync SDN API & Lync Edge Server and SRC-NAT

Posted Sep 25, 2014 03:32 PM
    Thanks for replying Tim. Being a bit of a lync novice, does front end servers mean not on the edge servers? Apologies if this is a silly question...

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Lync SDN API & Lync Edge Server and SRC-NAT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2014 03:34 PM

Not always, but they can be.

• 5.  RE: Lync SDN API & Lync Edge Server and SRC-NAT

Posted Sep 25, 2014 03:41 PM
    I'll install it on the edge in that case and see if it makes a difference.

Do you know if there's an issue with the src-nat aspect?

• 6.  RE: Lync SDN API & Lync Edge Server and SRC-NAT

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2014 03:44 PM

I don't know anything about that. We'll see if someone else responds. If you need a quick response, please contact Aruba TAC.

• 7.  RE: Lync SDN API & Lync Edge Server and SRC-NAT

Posted Sep 25, 2014 03:54 PM
    Will do. Thanks Tim.

• 8.  RE: Lync SDN API & Lync Edge Server and SRC-NAT

Posted Nov 13, 2014 10:43 AM

Apologies I forgot to update this with the response from TAC.

It isn't possible to use the Lync SDN API with NAT.

I hope this helps others.