Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MANUAL AP POWER, BEACON RATE, BASIC MANAGEMENT FOR DIFFERENT APS IN SAME INFRASTRUCTURE

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  MANUAL AP POWER, BEACON RATE, BASIC MANAGEMENT FOR DIFFERENT APS IN SAME INFRASTRUCTURE

Posted Jun 15, 2015 05:36 AM

I have 32 AP135 and a controller in my infrastructure. Unfortunately the ARM does not work as its supposed to. Clients hang on to APs and deteroriate the performance of the wifi. I did a site survey and realised that the 5.0 GHz coverage is very bad and therefore want to manually manage the 5.0 GHz some within some groups and some singly since my infrastructure has solid walls at some places and wooden frames at some other places. But after i put the APs in different groups, any changes i make to a specific group affects all other APs since the are using same VAP. Can you guide me on how i can manage the transmission power, Beacon rates, basic rates etcs of different APs being managed by the central controller differently.

thanks

• 2.  RE: MANUAL AP POWER, BEACON RATE, BASIC MANAGEMENT FOR DIFFERENT APS IN SAME INFRASTRUCTURE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2015 06:07 AM
    You would need to use AP-specific profiles.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: MANUAL AP POWER, BEACON RATE, BASIC MANAGEMENT FOR DIFFERENT APS IN SAME INFRASTRUCTURE

Posted Jun 15, 2015 06:45 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, so that means i cannot put some APs into different groups (maybe per floor) and deply different settings for the different floors?

regards

• 4.  RE: MANUAL AP POWER, BEACON RATE, BASIC MANAGEMENT FOR DIFFERENT APS IN SAME INFRASTRUCTURE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2015 07:03 AM

Mr. Charlie,

You can do that with ap-specific profiles, but that might be too hard to manage.

Let's troubleshoot your problem:

- Do you have access points in every room?

- How many SSIDs are you broadcasting?

- What access point type do you have?

- Are most of your clients 5ghz capable?

- Are you running 20, 40 or 80 mhz on the 5ghz band?

- Do you have "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast" enabled on all of your Virtual APs?

• 5.  RE: MANUAL AP POWER, BEACON RATE, BASIC MANAGEMENT FOR DIFFERENT APS IN SAME INFRASTRUCTURE

Posted Jun 15, 2015 08:04 AM

@ campalli, thanks for the answer.

@ Cjoseph,

- Do you have access points in every room? - we have 3 floors (2nd, 4th and 5th), and no, i do not have APs in every room but at least 10 on every floor.

- How many SSIDs are you broadcasting? - I am broadcasting 2 SSID, the internal and guest SSID.

- What access point type do you have? - I am using Aruba AP-135

- Are most of your clients 5ghz capable? - yes, almost all my clients are 5ghz capable, and that is where i have the problems. (low coverage because of the walls, and sticky clients if i increase the power to manage the coverage holes.

- Are you running 20, 40 or 80 mhz on the 5ghz band? - 20 mhz

- Do you have "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast" enabled on all of your Virtual APs? - Yes

• 6.  RE: MANUAL AP POWER, BEACON RATE, BASIC MANAGEMENT FOR DIFFERENT APS IN SAME INFRASTRUCTURE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2015 08:11 AM

Do you have DFS channels enabled?  What is your country code?

You should try setting your min and max TX power in ARM to 12, to start, to make it even.

Type "show ap arm state" to see what your coverage looks like on your access points.  

• 7.  RE: MANUAL AP POWER, BEACON RATE, BASIC MANAGEMENT FOR DIFFERENT APS IN SAME INFRASTRUCTURE

Posted Jun 15, 2015 08:28 AM

Yes, i have DFS channels enabled and my contry code is DE

• 8.  RE: MANUAL AP POWER, BEACON RATE, BASIC MANAGEMENT FOR DIFFERENT APS IN SAME INFRASTRUCTURE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2015 07:17 AM

Yes, you can do either separate groups or AP-specific. Just make sure you're
    using different profiles for different power levels, rates, etc.