Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MM Upgrade from 8.4 to 8.5

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  MM Upgrade from 8.4 to 8.5

Posted Aug 27, 2019 05:18 AM

I Have a few questions on upgrading the Aruba VMM from 8.4.x to 8.5.x.

Below is a brief about our existing network infrastructure.

We have a MM cluster followed by 8 MDs under two VMM controllers. The two VMMs are Master-standby running VRRP setup. The managed devices are installed in a pair at 4 different location in active-active/ active-standby mode. The OS running in the cluster is 8.4.x. The MDs are the controller 72xx series located in 4 different sites and superated by folders/group in the cluster. We need to support the new AP model AP-535 installed, which needs minimus os 8.5.x.

I plan to upgrade only the VMM and one of the existing MD pair (one folder/site only) from 8.4 to 8.5.

Below are the queries for which I need clarity.

1. Do I need to upgrade all the MDs in the same cluster to match with VMM?
    2. I believe upgrading the VMM in the cluster won't have a network impact/outage for APs terminated on MDs.
    3. What will be the time frame for upgrading the MDs
    4. how long the existing AP will take to boot up after the upgrade.
    5. Any doc reference from Aruba with recommended practices would be helpful.
    6. Is there anything like pre-download to have more control over device reload.

A document reference would help manage the upgrade on the same topic.

• 2.  RE: MM Upgrade from 8.4 to 8.5

Posted Aug 27, 2019 10:36 AM
    Do I need to upgrade all the MDs in the same cluster to match with VMM? No , you can have the MM running a higher version than the MDs
    What will be the time frame for upgrading the MDs how long the existing AP will take to boot up after the upgrade. Any doc reference from Aruba with recommended practices would be helpful. Is there anything like pre-download to have more control over device reload.
    The upgrade time could vary based on your environment but typically campus Aps could take from 5-10 minutes (assuming you are not using Live Upgrade) but you could decrease the upgrade time by using AP Preload Image
    I suggest following the release notes upgrade guidelines
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS/8.4.x.x/Default.htm#ReleaseNotes/Upgrade/Upgrading.htm%3FTocPath%3DUpgrade%2520Procedure%7C_____7

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 3.  RE: MM Upgrade from 8.4 to 8.5

Posted Aug 28, 2019 05:19 AM

Thanks.

So as I said before the upgrade process of VMM will not impact the current MDs operation, right?
    If true then upgrading the VMM will not impact the operation of MD at remote sites?
    Thanks for the link.
    Don't we have some docs for how to upgrade the cluster, including process flow and impact in each device in the cluster?

Thanks in Advance