Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MPLS Bridge mode Rap

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  MPLS Bridge mode Rap

Posted Oct 03, 2012 03:13 AM

Hi All,

I am going to deploy APs over MPLS network, some 20 AP and controller  in HQ and 5 AP each in two remote sites which are connected through MPLS . Each remote site has DHCP and different VLAN structure.

AD is in HQ and Radius auth will be used.

I am not sure how to go forward in this case.

Also if connection between HQ controller  and remote site APs goes down it is required that remote site APs should work 

If I configure them in Campus Bridge mode will they work if controller is unreachable ?? What about radius authentication ?

Also If I configure Remote Bridge mode with Backup SSID what will be the limitations and after link failure What will happen to Radius authentication also can clients get  IP from remote site DHCP after link failure??

• 2.  RE: MPLS Bridge mode Rap

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2012 06:45 AM

For bridging to work, you can deploy two ways:

- Regular Campus AP with Virtual AP set to bridged (requires that Control Plane Security be on)

- Remote APs with Virtual AP set to bridged (requires that access points at those sites be provisioned as remote APs over your internal LAN)

If you provision those access points as remote APs, you can configure permanent/always/backup SSID that will work if the wan connection breaks and your clients will be able to continue to receive ip addresses from those sites.  Radius authentication will not work for new clients if the WAN link goes down.

APs provisioned as regular Campus APs cannot be provisioned with backup/permanent or always SSIDs.

You could also consider running Aruba instant at those sites for survivability.

• 3.  RE: MPLS Bridge mode Rap

Posted Oct 04, 2012 07:29 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply..

I am not sure about RAP mode DHCP configuration , I want to use remote site dhcp ( not from Remote AP) in both the cases WAN link UP or Down.. so do I need to make any changes in Remote AP dhcp poolsettings or keep it  as default ?

• 4.  RE: MPLS Bridge mode Rap

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 04, 2012 07:44 AM

No.