Wireless Access

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Mac OS X Lion/MacBook Air issue

Update on our situation:

We are using 802.1x. The certificate that's sent over as part of the 802.1x authentication process is signed by a CA, and the signing chain makes the cert long enough that it doesn't fit into a single packet. When OSX 10.8.2 Macs roamed between APs, they'd get this cert sent to them, the roam event would usually take upwards of 15 seconds, and potentially not work at all. Disabling OCSP and CRL checks on the Mac clients had no effect.

Switching to a self-signed cert, which does fit into a single packet, pretty much eliminated the roaming problem. We're still having other issues with Mac clients, but the self-signed cert fixed our most annoying and reproduceable issue.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

Good tip - glad things are working better for you!

Lirria

Highlighted
Contributor II

We have started deploying 10.8.3 to our Mac clients, and things seem to be better. The drops/disconnects seem to come in waves now. It will be fine for a week or two, and then all of a sudden one day or night I'll get a bunch of reports of people not being able to connect, or getting dropped a bunch. It seems to be limited to areas where we still have some AP61s in production, but I've also gotten reports in areas where we have 105s deployed.

On a related note, I did upgrade a lot of areas from older AP61s to 105s recently, and some of the reports I've gotten indicate that the coverage isn't as good in some spots with the newer APs, mounted in the same locations that the 61s were. I know they probably don't have the same coverage pattern, but I wouldn't think it would be any worse! 

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Not sure if you are doing this but one of the things that what suggested by one of the Aruba engineers was to enable validate-pmkid when you have OKC enabled under the 802.1x profile since the Mac devices don't work properly when roaming if that is not enabled

Please read this post :

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Mobile-Device-Configuration-and/MAC-WLAN-Client-quot-Nuances-quot/td-p/1461/page/2

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Highlighted
Contributor II

That is currently enabled and OKC is disabled so it probably doesn't even matter, right?

Highlighted
MVP Expert

OKC is good for the other devices (Non - Mac) since it speeds up the roaming process and doesn't have to do the whole full 802.1x process everytime the device roams within the ESS .

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Highlighted
Contributor II

We are about 90-95% Mac/iPad so I'm not to worried about the few Windoze clients out there! :smileywink:

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Good deal

Thank you

Victor Fabian
New Contributor

We were having a terrible time with our Mac clients roaming to different access points, even when the computers were sitting still, and dropping connections to our email server. After a lot of troubleshooting, the technician we were working with suggested running the following command on the Macs:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.airport.opproam disabled -bool true

The difference has been like night and day. It stops the Macs from aggressively roaming, which in turn stops 802.1X re-authentication and dropped connections. The clients that we've done this to have reported that their connections now rarely (if ever) are dropped while sitting still. If you've got Mac clients, are using 802.1X, and are dropping connections frequently, I think it's worth looking into.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor II

Thank you very much for sharing, I'm going to try it out on a few clients as we still see disconnects from time to time!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: