Wireless Access

Highlighted
Contributor II

Re: Mac OS X Lion/MacBook Air issue

Client Match being disabled was under direct instruction by TAC. Of course after that, everything seemed ok, then it didn't again. That's the problem, everything is so intermittent with these Mac issues. 

Right now our AP's are set to the following in the default ARM profile:

Max Tx EIRP:127

Min Tx EIRP: 9

If I bring down the max transmit power, do you think less AP dense areas of our campus will suffer?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Theiglu,

This is an open forum and it is just my opinion about Client match only because you said it did not make a difference.

If you make the 5ghz band 12 and 18, you still have coverage on the 2.4ghz. I only arrive at that number because this is where you start with VoIP handsets to make them roam well.

When you say less dense, how far apart are they?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Contributor II

I understand about the client match, I'm not trying to discredit anything. Just that sometimes these settings help, other times they don't. Of course, if I had a machine I could duplicate the problem at will with, I could tell much sooner if these changes helped or hurt. Your input is very welcome, I'm no expert at this and this forum allows me to talk to people about it as I get responses from faculty. I can't do that with an engineer from TAC on the phone since I can't duplicate the issue during the call. 

Most of our dorms have AP's in every other room or hallway. I'd say most are within 70 feet of each other at most. We do have a lot of brick and concrete to contend with. 

Highlighted
Guru Elite

If your dorms are brick and concrete, your APs should be in every other room where it can service possibly the next room over and possibly the room above and below.  The hallway AP normally does not provide good in-room coverage and causes interference due to great line of sight with other hallway APs....

Please see the  Next Generation Wireless Architecture for Multimedia-Grade Residence Halls VRD here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/resources/reference-design-guides/

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Contributor II

@theiglu wrote:

I understand about the client match, I'm not trying to discredit anything. Just that sometimes these settings help, other times they don't. Of course, if I had a machine I could duplicate the problem at will with, I could tell much sooner if these changes helped or hurt. Your input is very welcome, I'm no expert at this and this forum allows me to talk to people about it as I get responses from faculty. I can't do that with an engineer from TAC on the phone since I can't duplicate the issue during the call. 

Most of our dorms have AP's in every other room or hallway. I'd say most are within 70 feet of each other at most. We do have a lot of brick and concrete to contend with. 

Did you ever make any progress on this? We just deployed some brand new MacBook Airs running 10.9.5, with roaming disabled, and we are hearing initial reports that the FirstClass disconnects are back. I've been unable to replicate in my testing so far.

Contributor II

It appears as though Yosemite may have resolved the Firstclass dropping
issue, but unfortunately the delays in reauthentication on 802.1X now mean
it disconnects the machine completely fairly often which is even worse
than just FC dropping. If the machine stays in the same space and doesn't
roam to another AP, Firstclass is far more reliable than in
Mavericks/Lion. I did notice that the firmware/driver version in Yosemite
was a major release newer than in Mavericks/Lion. I estimate that to be
the difference as it seems to only be the Broadcom 43xx cards doing it.
The Mavericks version of the driver/firmware is 5.xxx... while Yosemite is
6.xxx if I recall correctly.

I was able to get a number of machines to replicate the issue
consistently. Even clean wipe Mavericks would do it. It appears to be
traffic density related. If we have an empty campus, there are very few
Firstclass disconnects compared to while the campus was busy. TAC and I
did a number of FC packet captures that showed the response packets coming
back from the FC server making it to the controller, but never making it
to the machine. So somewhere in between the controller and the OS X
client, the packet disappears.

Once Yosemite gets the authentication chain delay fixed (same as early
versions of Mavericks), then we'll likely deploy out Yosemite to a wider
user base and get a more thorough test of Firstclass.
Highlighted
Guru Elite

theiglu,

We have another account tracking the Yosemite roaming/auth delay issue.  Do you have any details to share on that?

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Contributor II

I probably don't have much info compared to a lot of customers, but from my vantage point it seems very similar to the authentication delays in early Mavericks on 802.1X. The workaround then was to set all the certificates in the authentication chain to "Always Trust" in Keychain for EAP. I'm testing that now on two machines to see if it makes any difference. I'll trying to get a definite one way or the other today to see if it helped. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

We've had the same wireless drop's with our macbook air's.  Further investigation points to roaming.  I can force roam(walking) and see that the air's disconnect and most times won't even reconnect to the new ap.  Macbook pro's were disconnecting when roaming but would reconnect after 10-15 sec.  Pro's sitting between two ap's were not as sensitive to roaming when stationary.  Both notebooks were fine when using open SSID and also PSK, so I can verify that it was an 802.1x issue for us.  The fix that works for us after testing this am is going to the eap cert in the keychain and selecting a trust all for all settings(when using this cert).  Thx for all the input, this was a real pain point for us!

Highlighted
Contributor II

Glad I could help!

Now to wait and see when Apple releases the next 10.10 update to see if it is resolved (again). 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: