Wireless Access

Guru Elite

Re: MacBook's Lose Connectivity & Have issues roaming...

That message is informational, because the broadcast filter arp option is enabled by default.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Frequent Contributor I

I have no broadcast-filter arp configured on a couple of my vaps by the previous admin.  Any idea what the purpose of that would be?

Guru Elite

On the commandline, it is broadcast-filter arp.  In the GUI it is "Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast".  It should be enabled by default.  It is proxy arp, and there are few situations where you would not have it checked.  In this situation (when you are dropping broadcast and unknown multicast), you need it checked.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Frequent Contributor I

Okay - so both options should be enabled?

I will make the change this evening.

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Yes.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor II

Hi. We are a K-12 school here in Dubai and most our users are using 95% Apple Computers, running Mavericks or Yosemite (About 1500 Mac's on the Wireless network).  We too have seen similar issues. After seeing this thread and reading your article, Colin, we did have our AP's power set too high, but brought it down to min 12 dBm and max 18dBM.  We do have an AP-105, in each classroom as the walls in our classrooms are concrete so signal sometimes have trouble penetrating the wall. What we are seeing is that when a student or teacher moves from class to different class to their different times students have had a hard time connecting to wifi. However after lowering the min power to 12 and max to 18 has helped. However now we have had another issue where Mac's lose connectivity after connecting to wifi after moving from a different location.

Users workflow is:

• closing thier Mac in one classroom
  • going to another classroom on a different floor, opening their Mac and connecting to wifi
  • some machines connect, but after a minute or two they get disconnected and their machine tries to connect to wifi. Their best option is to turn off Wifi on their Mac and turn it back ON.

We do have Client Match on, and have OKC disabled, so it uses PMKID. Do you know what would cause this issue? Do you think it would be best to lower the ARM power even more considering we have an AP in every classroom? I think what's happening is that when a student/teacher closes their Mac to sleep, Aruba thinks the machine is still associated to the wireless network. It doesn't know that it has disconnected. 

Looking forward to your reply. :)

Guru Elite

Pchang,

What version of ArubaOS are you using?

Do you have encryption enabled?

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

Hi Colin,

We are using Aruba OS 6.4.2.12 on 7200 Controllers. 

Where would we find the encryption settings? If you are talking about authentication type, we are using 802.1x along with ClearPass, PEAP MSCHAPv2

Peter

Guru Elite

pchang,

Ok.

How many access points do you have and what kind?

On the commandline, what is the output of "show ap radio-summary"?  That will tell us if your utilization is too high and your power needs to be reduced..

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

We've got about 270 Access Points. Majority of them being 105's. But also have 225's and a few 275's. I've attached the output of that command into a text file.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: