Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Machine authentication for windows

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Machine authentication for windows

Posted Oct 03, 2014 11:50 AM

Hi all,

We were configuring a few user laptops for user and machine authentication . User's laptop does not seem to do machine authention after rebooting a few times. As user laptop did not have the machine authenticated role, they were not allowed access to the wireless network. Anyone encountered a similar issue before? We are using clearpass as the radius for the controller.

Thanks.

Regards,

Victor

• 2.  RE: Machine authentication for windows

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2014 11:51 AM

User and machine authentication are both enabled in the Windows 1X configuration?

In Access Tracker, are you only seeing [User Authenticated] at that time?

• 3.  RE: Machine authentication for windows

Posted Oct 03, 2014 02:04 PM

Have you looked at the machine auth cache time ?

2014-10-03 14_02_33-ClearPass Policy Manager - Aruba Networks.png

2014-10-03 14_03_48-ClearPass Policy Manager - Aruba Networks.png

• 4.  RE: Machine authentication for windows

Posted Oct 03, 2014 10:07 PM
    Hi Tim and Victor,

Thanks for the reply.

I had enabled user or machine auth in the windows dot1x. I did not check the cache timer but doesn't windows do a machine auth each time it reboots?

• 5.  RE: Machine authentication for windows

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2014 10:09 PM

Yes, it should machine auth every time it reboots and also when you log out. The cache timer is set to 24 hours by default, so there is likely no issue there.

In access tracker, are you seeing the request with just a [User Authenticated] role?

• 6.  RE: Machine authentication for windows

Posted Oct 04, 2014 09:49 PM
    Hi Tim,

Yes. I saw the [user authenticated] role but not the [machine authenticated] role.

In access tracker I dun see the machine authentication request. I am assuming no machine authentication requested by the laptop since there pointis no request with the laptop host name. When a machine authentication is attempted, I will see the hostname of the machine as the username. I dun see it at times for certain machine when i reboot (though those machine has successfully authentication as a machine before). That is puzzling to me.

Thanks

Regards,
    Victor

• 7.  RE: Machine authentication for windows

Posted Oct 12, 2014 05:42 AM

so even at  a reboot you don't see a machine auth request on the ClearPass?

i would check your windows settings then, it might be turned off somehow?