Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

Posted Jan 18, 2016 05:39 AM

Hello,

I have two AP : One master and one slave.

First i try to put master and slave in the same vlan, Slave can see Master and master sync configuration.

Now to go further, i want to have each AP on differents vlans but seeing eachother and by synchronising the configuration.

Each aps are seeing the other, but i don't know how to specify master on slave so that it synchronizes.

Anyone has an idea ?

Thanks

Best regards,

ComeT

• 2.  RE: Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

Posted Jan 18, 2016 06:45 AM

You have two AP's or two controllers? Please specify in terms we can understand on this forum..

• 3.  RE: Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

Posted Jan 18, 2016 08:26 AM

"I have two AP : One master and one slave."

Two AP : AP-225 and AP-205

What you do not understand ?

• 4.  RE: Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

Posted Jan 18, 2016 08:30 AM

Then we asssume you are running IAPs?   In the future, please post in the Instant forum for accurate respones: Aruba Instant & Cloud WiFi

If this is indeed Instant and not controller-based; with regards to your initial question, all APs in the same cluster need to be on the same VLAN/L2 network.

• 5.  RE: Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

Posted Jan 18, 2016 08:42 AM

Yes, there are IAPs. Sorry, i am a bit lost on your forum.

So what i understand is that i can't put IAPs in the same cluster if there aren't on the same VLAN/L2 network ?

What do i need to build cluster on differents vlans ?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

Posted Jan 18, 2016 08:50 AM

If the IAP's are put on different VLAN's - they are two different installations. You can either configure them separately or both on the same VLAN and just move one of them to the other VLAN. It will retain the configuration.

• 7.  RE: Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

Posted Jan 18, 2016 09:02 AM

I thought i could configure first IAP as master, and that the other can synchronize with it. Even being not on the same vlan/L2.

Let me explain, i have differents vlans on each site, each floor. I want to configure only one IAP and than others recover the configuration (like the IAP is a controller).

• 8.  RE: Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 18, 2016 09:35 AM

I would suggest that you establish a single VLAN within the building where you place your IAP's. That will do alot of good for both the administration and the rf-environment. If you want the place access points within a single building in different VLANS - you should be looking towards a Controller-based solution.

By default you don't think master/slave when working with IAP's. The first IAP you power up and configure will take the "master" role. All secondary IAP's connected to the cluster will get both config and software (as long as they share the same software) from the current Master. You can assign certain IAP's as "Preferred Master"if you want to have the more powerful or lesser used IAP's to take that role, but if that goes down one of the others in the cluster will accept the job..

• 9.  RE: Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

Posted Jan 18, 2016 10:19 AM

Ok, thanks for info.This is well explained in User Documentation, but i found nothing about IAPs in different networks, i was a bit lost. Now everything is clearer

I will put IAPs in the same vlan to manage it.

Again thanks a lots for help.

• 10.  RE: Master AP and slave AP in differents vlans

Posted Jan 18, 2016 10:28 AM

Thats what we're here for ;)

I don't know how big your environment is, but there is also an upper limit to how many IAP's you want to place in one VLAN. This not a hard limit, but more depending on type of use. Normal office situations you should plan for a cap of 128'ish. With this many you definately want to assign preferred master to the most powerful IAP's like the 225.

Note that while I said that the clusters will be different installations you can still achieve L3 roaming (Mobility) between the clusters. Read more about that here:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_40_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_files/L3_mobility/Overview.htm

Good luck with your installation!