Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master Active-Standby with Centralized License

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Master Active-Standby with Centralized License

Posted Jul 12, 2017 01:51 PM

I just got a weird case and need more insight about it.

Here are the setup:

- 2 controllers 7210 (A and B) with OS 6.4.4.9 as Master Active-Standby. 

- Controller A held all license (AP and FW), higher VRRP priority,  preempt enabled, Centralized License enabled

- Controller B has no lic, lower VRRP, no preempt

- All are working as configured

Earlier today we have power outage and both controller are turned off, when the power are up, it seems that ctrl-B is the first to turned on and act as Master-Active. with this condition I see AP shown on ctrl with flags IL, and there are no licenses on controller license page.

I have wait a while to let ctrl-A take over the VRRP (high priority and preemp) but it didn't happen. after 30 minutes i shutdown the controllers and power it up from ctrl-A first, and then ctrl-B. everything went back to normal again.

Although the problem has been solved but I can't pinpoint the root cause, is this behaviour are expected to happen because the lic are installed only on ctrl-A? are there any configuration needed, so it wont happen again if the situation reoccurs?

Thank you.

-Yopianus Linga-

• 2.  RE: Master Active-Standby with Centralized License

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2017 03:28 PM

You probably don't have the master redundancy setup correctly.  Any controller in a centralized licensing setup have 30 days before it will deactivate any licenses that were received through centralized licensing.  If you see IL, that means the controller was not part of the centralized setup.

You should type "show switches" on the master and make sure that second controller is listed as the backup master.

• 3.  RE: Master Active-Standby with Centralized License

Posted Jul 13, 2017 03:50 AM

Hi Collins, thanks for the response.

VRRP has been configured correctly (i hope), here are configuration info:

Master-Active (CTRL-A)

show roleinfo

switchrole:master
    masterip:172.16.21.7

show switches All Switches ------------ IP Address Name Location Type Model Version Status Configuration State Config Sync Time (sec) Config ID ---------- ---- -------- ---- ----- ------- ------ ------------------- ---------------------- --------- 172.16.21.5 WLC-MD-L2-7210A Building1.floor1 master Aruba7210 6.4.4.9_55980 up UPDATE SUCCESSFUL 0 3 172.16.21.6 WLC-MD-L2-7210B Building1.floor1 standby Aruba7210 6.4.4.9_55980 up UPDATE SUCCESSFUL 12 3 show license profile License provisioning profile ---------------------------- Parameter Value --------- ----- Centralized Licensing Enabled show license aggregate Aggregate License Table ----------------------- Hostname IP Address AP PEF RF Protect xSec Module ACR Last update (secs. ago) -------- ---------- --- --- ---------- ----------- --- ----------------------- WLC-MD-L2-7210B 172.16.21.6 0 0 0 0 0 26 WLC-MD-L2-7210A 172.16.21.5 239 239 0 0 0 2 show license debug Summary of licensing state Centralized Licensing: Enabled Switch Role: Master License Role: License Server Master IP: 172.16.21.7 Switch IP: 172.16.21.5 License Server IP: 0.0.0.0

Master-Standby (CTRL-B)

show roleinfo  

switchrole:standby
    masterip:172.16.21.7

show switches

All Switches
    ------------
    IP Address Name Location Type Model Version Status Configuration State Config Sync Time (sec) Config ID
    ---------- ---- -------- ---- ----- ------- ------ ------------------- ---------------------- ---------
    172.16.21.6 WLC-MD-L2-7210B Building1.floor1 standby Aruba7210 6.4.4.9_55980 up UPDATE SUCCESSFUL 0 3

show license profile

License provisioning profile
    ----------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    Centralized Licensing Enabled

show license aggregate

This command is applicable only on the license server.
    show license debug

Summary of licensing state

Centralized Licensing: Enabled
    Switch Role: Standby Master
    License Role: Standby License Server
    Master IP: 172.16.21.7
    Switch IP: 172.16.21.6
    License Server IP: 0.0.0.0

Regards

Yopianus Linga

• 4.  RE: Master Active-Standby with Centralized License

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 07:35 AM

You should open a TAC case.  I do not see why that could be happening.