Wireless Access

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

Re: Master-Local Configuration change reboots locals?

I assume that if I reboot the master, the locals will reboot as well since the IPSEC tunnel is broken?

Local should not reboot, because when master reboot it would be like master went down from local Controller point of view, however, local should be up serving clients, IPsec tunnel between local and master do not carry user traffic the only thing that will happen when Master reboot is just loosing master controller functions e.g. configuration, management, locating and tracking etc.

For your captive portal, where do you create your guest users ? in the same external captive portal ?

==

The user credentials provided by the captive portal users must be authenticated against an
authentication server. Any server type available in ArubaOS can be used as an authentication server,
including the internal database. If the guest provisioning feature of ArubaOS is required, the internal
database must be used as the authentication server.
Create a server group that defines the internal database of the controller as the authentication server.
By default, the credentials entered on the captive portal page by the guests are validated against the
user credentials in the database of the master controller. So, in a master/local operation all the guest
user accounts are created in the internal database of the master controller.

==

Highlighted
Contributor II

This exact same scenario happened to us a few weeks ago.  We are on 6.1.3.0

Made a change to a walled garden net destination, and pushed the change and it restarted all 14 local controllers at every one of our sites.

Then in that same netdestination, it had duplicate entries of the same IP/host and I couldn't delete them.  So I figured what the heck I'd delete them all and start over.  Nope, even after removing the walled garden from the guest policy I couldnt delete the netdestination as it was 'in use'.  

What I found was, that if I created a netdestination with both IP address hosts and named hosts, thats when it got borked up.  So I made a new netdestination with just names, reapplied it to the guest policy and then pushed the config, all good. If you need names and IP's for your walled garden, just break them up in to two different netdestinations and apply both to the whitelist.

I did work with TAC on this, they said it was fixed in an upgrade but I didn't feel like upgrading at the time.

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Well that's not good because when we lose the master, the locals cannot serve up our external captive portal that we provide ourself.

xml-api servers.

I assume that the captive portal comes from the Master pushed down to the locals but goes back to Master and back to our backend....

This is not making sense anymore as I know for a fact (after bootcamp and literature) that your statement is correct regarding rebooting or losing access to a master.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

if you are not using master-db for Auth. then I do not see why CP will fail if Master fails !! :S   local will receive http packet and will redirect it to DNS to bring the page.. so the question does CP page appear to clients when Master is down ? if not then the problem is not in the authentication it would be in the DNS reply or something.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Again,

One controller is NEVER supposed to cause another to reboot. Please upgrade to the latest version of ArubaOS and open a tac case.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Sure thing will do. I will update this thread as I go along.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: