Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master-Local Controller Deployment

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Master-Local Controller Deployment

Posted Sep 23, 2014 07:32 PM

Hello

I'm trying to get a solid understanding of the Master-Local controller deployment in terms of failover.  I've been looking at documentation and I see what each role is responsible for, but not much about failover.  So if you have a Master-Local deployment and the Local fails, will its APs begin to terminate on the Master?  I assume/hope that this is true as it seems too logical to not be.  But what about the other way around?  If I lose the Master will they failover to a Local?  I assume that this is not true but I need to ask.  In that scenario I'm sure it would be best if "business crictical" enough to drop in another controller as a standby for the Master. 

Maybe a Master-Local isn't even the right type of controller deployment for my scenario.  I have a handful of small sites that I was going to terminate on a Master (~20 APs) and then I have a main site where I was going to terminate their APs on a local (~20 APs).  The concern of course if failover so would I be best served to do an Active-Active deployment?

Thanks for reading!

• 2.  RE: Master-Local Controller Deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2014 07:41 PM
    Each ap-group can have a different "primary" and "backup" controller. You have the APs fail to each other in the event of a controller failure.

• 3.  RE: Master-Local Controller Deployment

Posted Sep 23, 2014 07:50 PM

Thanks for the reply Tim.  When I look in my AP Group (only have 1) I don't see any setting for "primary" and "backup" controllers.  Can you provide a screenshot?

• 4.  RE: Master-Local Controller Deployment
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2014 07:54 PM
    I don't have access to my controller right now.

Under AP > ap system profile, you'll find the LMS-IP and backup LMS-IP options. Enter your controller IPs there.

• 5.  RE: Master-Local Controller Deployment

Posted Sep 23, 2014 09:31 PM

I see that setting now.  Thanks!