Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master Local DHCP

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Master Local DHCP

Posted Mar 11, 2019 10:43 AM

Hello,

I have two controllers, one acts as Master and the other one as Local. Some APs are associated to the Master one and others to the Local one, and in both cases I’ve configured the LMS feature.

If one controller goes out of service, all APs associated to this controller became associated with the other one. I have a problem if one of this APs are rebooted, then they cannot be associated to any controller because the Master IP that they get from DHCP server is out of service and LMS backup IP is not obtained until AP is registrated to one controller.

I´ve tried to give the AP two “master IPs”, It is a Linux DHCP server and I´ve tried it writing this two lines:

option vendor-encapsulated-options “MASTER IP”;

option vendor-encapsulated-options “LOCAL IP”;

I’ve not get to work fine, the AP “only read” the second line, if controller specified at second line is out of service and AP is rebooted it doesn’t get to associate to controller specified at first line.

Can anyone help me please?

• 2.  RE: Master Local DHCP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 11, 2019 11:04 AM

Are these controllers L2 connected? You can configure a VRRP address between them to act as a single IP for controller discovery. 

• 3.  RE: Master Local DHCP

Posted Mar 11, 2019 04:31 PM
    Hi Zalion0,

No.... they aren’t. They are connected in L3..... It is not possible to make a vrrp scenario.

• 4.  RE: Master Local DHCP

Posted Mar 11, 2019 11:24 PM

If you give the configuration information correctly, you can give more detailed advice. If you have DHCP on a separate server, you can set the help address.

• 5.  RE: Master Local DHCP

Posted Mar 19, 2019 10:35 AM

Please, say me what do you need to know about configuration. Related to “help address”, ¿What do you mean? 

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Master Local DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2019 08:04 AM

@ufox wrote:

Hello,

I have two controllers, one acts as Master and the other one as Local. Some APs are associated to the Master one and others to the Local one, and in both cases I’ve configured the LMS feature.

If one controller goes out of service, all APs associated to this controller became associated with the other one. I have a problem if one of this APs are rebooted, then they cannot be associated to any controller because the Master IP that they get from DHCP server is out of service and LMS backup IP is not obtained until AP is registrated to one controller.

I´ve tried to give the AP two “master IPs”, It is a Linux DHCP server and I´ve tried it writing this two lines:

option vendor-encapsulated-options “MASTER IP”;

option vendor-encapsulated-options “LOCAL IP”;

I’ve not get to work fine, the AP “only read” the second line, if controller specified at second line is out of service and AP is rebooted it doesn’t get to associate to controller specified at first line.

Can anyone help me please?

You should configure aruba-master.<domain.com> to have two ip addresses.  Your DNS server will either round-robin the two ip addreses or give the access point two addresses at one time.  Either way, both ip addresses will be tried.

• 7.  RE: Master Local DHCP

Posted Mar 19, 2019 10:39 AM

This would be the right solution but I cannot implement it because there are another Aruba controllers inside network and it is being used.....

Thanks

• 8.  RE: Master Local DHCP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2019 12:00 PM

There can only be one master entry. To provide redundancy around a controller failure, either VRRP or DNS is used so that APs can resolve a valid address. 

As you mentioned, VRRP is not an option since your two controllers do not share a layer 2 subnet. Your other option is to use DNS and round-robin load balance across the controllers. 

Because of the functionality that takes place on a master controller, it is recommended to have a redundant/standby master which would be deployed in the same L2 subnet and share an IP via VRRP. 

• 9.  RE: Master Local DHCP

Posted Mar 20, 2019 03:16 AM

Thank you very much!!!