Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master Redundancy Query

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 15, 2017 05:05 AM

Hi all,

I have been adding and configuring a backup wireless controller to our current setup.  I have the first controller (192.168.22.2) as the master and the secondary (192.168.22.3) as a local.  A VRRP has been set up on 192.168.22.6 and both controllers have the VRRP added under virtual router settings with the priorty being higher on the first controller.  I have enabled centralised licensing on the master.  I have also added the second controllers IPSec Key under local keys on the master controller so both can now see each other and communicate.  Backup syncronisation has also been enabled on both controllers and set to 30 minutes on each.

My question is regarding the Master Redundancy settings and if i need to complete these? I have noticed that this is only appearing on the master controller and the settings can not be configured on the local.  I am just confused as the next steps I need to take to complete the ensure failover is going to work.

Thanks

Scott

• 2.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 15, 2017 07:34 AM
    Did you configure the second controller as a local ?

• 3.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 15, 2017 09:55 AM

I configured the second controller as a local controller.   I thought we could have a master local - active standby solution?

Do i need the master redundancy settings?

I want to have it that all APs can terminate to the VRRP address - if the master goes down the backup kicks in and minimal downtime happens.  If this makes sense.

• 4.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 18, 2017 04:00 AM

Hi Scott!

There´s master-local setup as it looks like you´ve configured and then there´s master redundancy where there´s a primary master and a standby master.

You will be able to achieve what you want to do with both types of setup. A slight advantage of master-redundancy is that you´ll always have the ability to change configuration no matter which controller has gone down. In master-local only the master can change configuration.

On the other hand if you plan to add more controllers/APs just adding another local to an existing master-local and make both locals have fallback to the master (N -> 1 redundancy) is a good way to scale up.

Make sure you do proper failover tests to make sure you have a working configuration.

Cheers,

• 5.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 18, 2017 04:05 AM

Ah ok I understand.

So in the master local setup do i need to configure the "Master redundancy" section or just leave it blank on the master controller?

• 6.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 18, 2017 04:14 PM

You can leave it blank since you have no redundant master controller. Only a redundant local controller :)

Cheers,

• 7.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 19, 2017 03:17 AM

I thought that as i already filled it out and i think it changed the IP of the master to the virtual IP address so i removed the settings but the controller is still showing the master's IP as the virtual IP - do i need to reboot the switch for this to change back?  Concerned I have messed it up now :(

• 8.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 19, 2017 09:52 AM

Hi!

Show controller-ip on the master. This is the IP that you can point your local controller to build its master-local tunnel to.

Otherwise I´m not sure which view you still see the incorrect IP-address in.

Cheers,

• 9.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 20, 2017 06:29 AM

If i do this on the master controller i get

But on the master controller GUI page it is showing as the VIP : 192.168.22.6

Is this because i entered in the Master Redundancy settings and then removed them but it is requiring a restart to revert the IP to 192.168.22.2?

• 10.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 20, 2017 09:03 AM

Are you sure you are viewing the right thing in the GUI?

show controller-ip should reflect whats showing under Controller ip details under systems settings in the GUI.

I think you might be viewing the Master IP address setting.

• 11.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 20, 2017 10:02 AM

I am on the master controller 192.168.22.2 i have attached the screenshot, however it is showing the master IP as 192.168.22.6 which is infact the virtual IP. Capture.PNG

• 12.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 21, 2017 08:09 AM

Hi!

Never mind that field, it´s only used when the controllers is configured as a local. Then the IP shown in that field is what it will contact to reach the master :)

So in your case this IP on your local should be your controller-ip of the master controller.

Cheers,

• 13.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 21, 2017 08:14 AM

Hi

Thanks for yes.

Yes the IP on the local is the IP of the master.

So it doesn't matter than on the master the IP is the VIP?  It won't make any difference to failover

• 14.  RE: Master Redundancy Query

Posted Dec 21, 2017 08:44 AM

That field will only be used if the drop-down above it is "local". So no, it won´t matter for failover in your case :)

Don´t forget to test your redundancy when you´re done!

Cheers,