Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master Redundancy

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Master Redundancy

Posted Aug 14, 2014 02:11 AM

I have a master controller. I want to add another controller as master backup. Can we put master IP as virtual VRRP IP ? The reason is that I have only static IP method for AP discover controller.

• 2.  RE: Master Redundancy

Posted Aug 14, 2014 04:37 AM

HI,

in a master/standby deployment. You need 3 IPs. IP master controller , IP standby controller and the same virtual IP on both controllers.

The virtual IP (VRRP) is used for provisioning the AP .

"The master controller owns the configured virtual IP address for the VRRP instance. When the master controller becomes unavailable, a backup controller steps in as the master and takes ownership of the virtual IP address. All network elements (APs and other controllers) can be configured to access the virtual IP address, thereby providing a transparent redundant solution to your network."

Look at this:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_61/ArubaOS_61_UG/VRRP.php

Best regards!

• 3.  RE: Master Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2014 06:31 AM
    You could use the existing IP for the VRRP address and give the controller a new one but your APs would lose connectivity for a few minutes while you reconfigure the controller.