Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master redundancy and controller role question

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Master redundancy and controller role question

Posted Jan 16, 2015 07:29 PM

Hello, here is my first question for the forum.

We have a pair of shiny new 7210 controllers, and I am going through the configurations for the first time.

My history is that I am an  Enterasys man, so these Aruba controllers are new to me, too.

I am having some good successes configuring so far.  I have them both connecting with trunked uplink ports, and the VRRP instances I created for active/active operations are behaving as they should.

I think I have the master redundancy configured, but am not sure about the standby master controller role.

When I did the initial configs, I set one controller role to master, and the second controller role to local.  Now I get to my first qestion:

Should I change the role of my local controller to master instead of local as well?

My second question has to do with the WebUI config for Master Redundancy.  I chose to use IPSec, which asks to enter a password, of course.  Where on the other controller do I configure that IPsec password for the master redundancy feature to work?

Thanks,

Jess

• 2.  RE: Master redundancy and controller role question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2015 08:47 PM

The answer to your last question is "Yes".

To configure master redundancy:

- Configure a vrrp between two controllers on their management vlan.

- First Make sure that the controller with the configuration that you desire has the higher priority and is  the "master" of the vrrp (show vrrp).  This is important, because whoever has control of the VRRP when you configure master redundancy propagates his configuration to the opposite controller.  If you configure the VRRP wrong, a controller with very little configuration who has control of the VRRP when you configure master redundancy will overwrite the other controller's configuration.

- When you are sure the controller with the desired config is the master of the VRRP, first configure master redundancy on that side.  Master redundancy will ask you what VRRP do you want to tie the master redundancy to.  This is important because the status of that VRRP decides what configuration will be used between both controllers.

- Configure master redundancy on the other side.  That side should have the role of "backup" on the VRRP

- When you have both sides configured, when you type "show switches" from the "Master" side, it should show the other side as standby, and that is how you know you are successful...

Gotchas:

- You cannot terminate any access points on the backup master.  You would point the LMS-IP of the ap group at the VRRP address and whoever has control of the VRRP (the master) would terminate and service the access points.

- If any access points point to the backup master, no traffic will be passed

- If the backup master is running a DHCP server, it will still give out ip addresses.

• 3.  RE: Master redundancy and controller role question

Posted Jan 23, 2015 06:25 PM

Thanks, Colin.  That was very helpful.  I am now getting beat up with IP interfaces and uplink prioirities...

Jess

• 4.  RE: Master redundancy and controller role question

Posted Aug 22, 2016 03:04 AM

Hi All,

I am facing an issue that the standby controller is changing as master automatically without any failover. 

Controller:7210

Anybody can help to solve this issue?

Reg,

Shamz

• 5.  RE: Master redundancy and controller role question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2016 07:09 AM

You should open a TAC case.  Troubleshooting what you describe could be complicated and would be difficult to handle on this forum.

• 6.  RE: Master redundancy and controller role question
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 15, 2016 12:20 PM

Hi, It is an old thread, but I could not find an answer anywhere else. I am having the same set up, but failover to the backup-master takes abbout 1 minute. Is that normal and is there a way to speed it up?

I see that it takes about 30sec for the backup to become a master and the APs to fail over and about another 30 sec for the AP to start passing client traffic.

• 7.  RE: Master redundancy and controller role question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2016 01:35 PM

what does your VRRP config and master redundancy config look like?

• 8.  RE: Master redundancy and controller role question

Posted Nov 16, 2016 03:46 AM

Here it is

master-redundancy
      master-vrrp 11
      peer-ip-address 10.0.0.6 ipsec *************
    !
    vrrp 11
      ip address 10.0.0.11
      vlan 30
      preempt delay 15
      no shutdown