Wireless Access

Highlighted

Master, stand by config on Aruba OS 8

Hello

Does anyone has  a config example of this scanario where you dont have MM?

im not sure wherei should configure the VRRP

i should configure it on the folder?

redundacy1.JPG

Should i confiigure it in the same controller??

redundacy2.JPG

which actually let me put which is the other controller which he is communicating with just like with the 6.5 or 6.4

Also i guess i need to click here to synch the config  but thats on the folder 

redundacy3.JPG

Any ideas? 

Thank you

----------------------------------------------------
Project engineer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Re: Master, stand by config on Aruba OS 8

Hi Cdelarosa,

Your configuration looks fine to me.

Q1. When create the VRRP ensure that your master controller has the highest VRRP priority to become the VRRP MASTER. Always check this from the CLI with "show vrrp" to be very sure. The VRRP MASTER will be the primary database. Be carefull! if your standby has the vrrp master role then it synced the database in the wrong direction.

Q2. License server synchronsation takes automaticly place when you enable database sync. When the master fails you can use the licenses on the standby for 30 days.

Q3. Make configuration from the device level of the master controller only (VM1). Indeed except of the IP interface, VLANs and VRRP sizzle.

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

See the CLI script below. Be sure your Master is having de highest priority and been the VRRP master before enable database synchronisation. VRRP should be configured at your VM1 level.

#vrrp 100
#ip address 172.16.100.200
#description Primary-MM1
#authentication ###key###
#preempt delay 60
#priority 120
#advertise 5
#vlan 100
#no shut
#show configuration pending

HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Highlighted

Here is the config i got so far but didnt work

on VM1

database synchronize period 1

vrrp 150
priority 120
authentication aruba123
ip address 172.16.150.252
description "MASTER"
vlan 150
preempt delay 60
advertise 5
no shutdown

On VM2

database synchronize period 1

vrrp 150
authentication aruba123
ip address 172.16.150.252
description "Standby"
vlan 150
preempt delay 60
advertise 5
no shutdown

I am missing something?

I can ping  172.16.150.252 which is the virtual IP

In the beggining was getting an odd error which said that the vlan didnt exist but it existed, i had promiscuide mode on the VM so it was not that... so i just ignored it.

i cannot see that the  information of the controller VM1 is on controller VM2 for example the AP groups and that kind of stuff.   it does not syncronice anything at all.

hope you can help!

i can see that the VRRP is as master on the principal controller which is good and the backup controller  as stand by.  That part works fine.

Cheers

Carlos

Project engineer
Highlighted
Guru Elite

You also need to also allow forged transmits on the VM.  I would review the Virtual Appliance Installation guide here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Default.aspx?EntryId=36988

and see if you missed anything.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba VIA ASE Solution - Configure VIA VPN
Highlighted

I will try to check that but i got in my config that you said

vm.JPG

Project engineer
Highlighted
Guru Elite

If the VRRP works (you can see one controller as master and the other one as backup), you need to configure master redundancy.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba VIA ASE Solution - Configure VIA VPN
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Some suggestions maybe can help.

You install two VMC in standalone mode right?

# show vrrp
# show vrrp stats all
# show vlan status
# show log all | include vrrp

step 1.JPGstep2.JPG

Highlighted

hello Marcel

Thank you very much for your support in this

Yes i got 2 VMS

both are Stand Alone controllers

it seems i get it to work

Look

Redancia  4.JPG

i can see both controllers now!!

If click on VM2 Which is my standby  i get this error but i guess its correct

redundacy5.JPG

On the deployment i need to do Ill configure one controller which will be the VM1 and i wll have another controller which will be the VM2

In my lab i configured the like this

1- VRRP ONLY in my VM1 which is the one that has the config

2- VRRP ONLY in my VM2 which only had a few configuration to access it and to do the VRRP(VLANS, pont configuration, default route and that kind of thing)

3-Configured master redundancy shared key here

redundacy6.JPG

then on the folder level on VM1 configured the database syncronization

redundacy7.JPG

Then i went to the VM2 and configured at controller level redundacy8.JPG

After that they seems that they syncronized as i didnt need to configure the database syncronization config on VM2(guess you just need to enable this :

redundacy7.JPG

On the one that have all the config right??

Im asking this because it seems it worked in my lab in the order i did, and i didnt mess up deleting the config of the controller i wanted to be the master.

i got 3 questions for you

1-How can i be sure that im making the correct controller that has all the config the master and stay with all the config?  it is the controller that i click Database syncronization? that will be the one that is picked up as the one that got all the config and will replicate it to the other one?

2-If  i install the license on VM1 which is the Master which is acting as the active controller and that one goes down, what happens to the other controller, where do i activate the centralized licensing for this like in the 6.5?

3-Should i configure everything on folder level(except for the configuration i had to do in the begginng to create the VRRP and the redundancy? it just that i didnt create a configuration on folder level for the ports and i don tknow if i should go in there and configure it on the folder for the ports

Project engineer
Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Hi Cdelarosa,

Your configuration looks fine to me.

Q1. When create the VRRP ensure that your master controller has the highest VRRP priority to become the VRRP MASTER. Always check this from the CLI with "show vrrp" to be very sure. The VRRP MASTER will be the primary database. Be carefull! if your standby has the vrrp master role then it synced the database in the wrong direction.

Q2. License server synchronsation takes automaticly place when you enable database sync. When the master fails you can use the licenses on the standby for 30 days.

Q3. Make configuration from the device level of the master controller only (VM1). Indeed except of the IP interface, VLANs and VRRP sizzle.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor II

cdelarosa, thanks for sharing your experiencing.

I am doing a lab like you, but using a 7005 instead of two VMCs. I am not able to have the data base synchronization working. I am on version ArubaOS 8.3.0.9, and getting error about CPSEC in the show log errorlog all, the error persist even if I disable CPSEc on both ends, unfortunately.  

What ArubaOS version is your lab in ?

Thanks.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: