Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes

Posted Feb 07, 2012 08:57 AM

Hi,

I recently looked at the release notes for 6.1.3.0 and found a new Table at the section Known Issues and Limitations;

Table 1

Maximum DHCP Lease Per Platform

Platform Description

M3 512

3200 512

3400 512

3600 512

600 Series 512

Is this a new found limitation? I'm currently looking into upgrading a customer to 6.1.3.0 and the controller is currently serving as a DHCP server for the guest users at version 5.0.4.3. For now the statistics is like following;

Active Leases      905

And the limitations in Table 1, probably don't count for the RAP leases, or does it?

Because an M3 can have 1024 RAP's, not making sense if you look at the table above.

So is the limitation only for clients?

Not that much explaining in the release notes, maybe someone here knows more...

• 2.  RE: Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2012 08:59 AM

This is only for clients receiving ip addresses from the DHCP server.  This does NOT apply to the ipsec pool.

• 3.  RE: Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes

Posted Feb 07, 2012 09:04 AM

Great.

But is this something new in 6.1.3.0 so that the lease file can only hold a maximum of 512 leases?

Or will the controller be able to give more leases, but it will impact on memory and such?

• 4.  RE: Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2012 09:12 AM

It is not anything new.  It is a formal recommendation that the internal DHCP server should only be used for the numbers in the document.  Anything more or an enterprise deployment should have an external DHCP server.

• 5.  RE: Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes

Posted Feb 07, 2012 09:14 AM

Great, I thought it was just recommendations. But just wanted to be sure.

• 6.  RE: Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes

Posted Jul 07, 2014 02:08 PM

Is there a way to disable this limitation?  I have several controllers running DHCP just fine AOS 6.1 and we are now moving to 6.3 and 6.4.  And for cost savings I do not want to move these guest subnets to a DHCP server.  I find it odd that the newer 7xxx controllers support DHCP leases in the thousands but the 3xxx and 6xx are limited to 512 or less.  Im not going to buy it that these have more CPU and memory power and that why the newer can handle more.  I feel like Aruba is forcing me into doing something I dont want to do and worked fine on the controller for years, I understand they don't recommend it.

So is there a way to bypass the limitations?

• 7.  RE: Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 07, 2014 02:12 PM
    There is no way to bypass the limitations.

It is not best practice (from any vendor) to run large DHCP scopes on your network devices.

• 8.  RE: Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes

Posted May 09, 2016 04:42 AM
      |   view attached

failed to add pool .....on aruba 3200n  ver 6.3.1.15

We have attached error screen grab.

Appreciate your revert

• 9.  RE: Maximum DHCP limitations in new Release Notes

Posted May 25, 2016 06:20 AM

better start new thread for new question rahulb.

anyway you are probably encountering the limit which is more strictly enforced. nothing to do about it then move to external dhcp.