Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mesh Routers Tech

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Mesh Routers Tech

Posted Mar 14, 2018 03:19 PM

Technology

Data Rate

Range

Power

Cost

LORA

27 kbps

2-5kms in urban

Around 15kms in suburban

0.42J Active

0.03 J Sleep

End nodes mostly operational for 10 years

$100 - $1000

Zigbee

Max 250kbps

Min 20kbps

2 miles(3.2kms)

0.001 to 0.1 J Active power

$10 approx

DigiMesh

250kbps

Max 40 miles

55mA/40mA Tx/Rx current draw

$10 approx

Aruba

10Mbps

5 miles (LOS)

15Watts

$280 approx

Ruckus

50mbps

150 feet

Idle 4W

Peak 10W

$300 approx

Ayr Mesh Hub

WiFi N signals

3 miles apart hubs and coverage 7.5 miles in each direction (LOS)

Hubs need to be powered.

$374.95

Can anyone verify the details mentioned. Want to do a project on Mesh Network in rural areas. Want to select the best one.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Mesh Routers Tech

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2018 09:53 PM

You should contact your local Aruba Sales Team.  You should not be picking a mesh vendor from a chart.

• 3.  RE: Mesh Routers Tech

Posted Mar 15, 2018 04:03 PM

I just want to verify the stats I mentioned. I collected them from various blogs. 

• 4.  RE: Mesh Routers Tech

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2018 12:31 AM

Is there a column for reliability?  That would interest me the most.

• 5.  RE: Mesh Routers Tech

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2018 10:20 AM

The chart is wrong and off on so many levels, Aruba being 10Mbps @ 5 miles is not right (we are faster than that at 5mi AND we have a range of thorughputs depending on distance), and leaving out the range of distances and citing 50Mbps on Ruckus at 150ft (which is ALSO not correct as they are much faster than that at that distance)...the chart is just not viable for any kind of foundation to make a descision on.

Additionally, some of those are the technologies listed there and others are specific vendors that use the same technologies. Trying to equate them in a single chart ignores their intended use cases and why they exist. LORA is a completely different animal than WiFi or even Zigbee. This chart shows incorrect pricing in some cases, and incalculable price ranges in others. 

The best approach is to break down wireless technologies and protocols based first on use case (industrial IoT, WiFi briding, client access, automation, etc) and THEN within each technology analyze the vendors and their capabilities completely. 

• 6.  RE: Mesh Routers Tech

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2018 10:21 AM

Also Colin is correct, note Aruba is the ONLY vendor that carries limited lifetime warranty on our outdoor products.