Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mesh with IAP-175 and IAP-277

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Mesh with IAP-175 and IAP-277

Posted Aug 08, 2017 03:45 AM

Hi all,

I have a client that has an IAP-175 at his site, to cover outdoor wireless access to the LAN. He now wants to connect two points on the site that are both roughly 100 meters away to the LAN. Would it work if I added an IAP-277 at each point and create a mesh with the IAP-175 as the mesh portal?

• 2.  RE: Mesh with IAP-175 and IAP-277

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 08, 2017 11:38 AM

That should work fine.

• 3.  RE: Mesh with IAP-175 and IAP-277

Posted Sep 04, 2018 02:33 AM

Hi all, 

I was finally able to test this setup as I described in my previous post. However, I could not get it to work. When I connect the IAP-277 via cable to the network, it gets added to the existing IAP cluster just fine. However, as soon as I disconnect the IAP-277 from the network, it never comes back as mesh. I tried configuring it in every possible way, with and without eth0 bridging, static IP address, DHCP, etc. It did not make a difference. I do not have a power adapter for the IAP-277 however, so I was only able to test it with PoE, thus I could never physically disconnect the network cable from the eth0 interface of the IAP-277, since it would have lost power. Could this be a problem? The firmware level is at 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.11_64223

• 4.  RE: Mesh with IAP-175 and IAP-277

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2018 12:27 PM

@nathalie wrote:

Hi all, 

I was finally able to test this setup as I described in my previous post. However, I could not get it to work. When I connect the IAP-277 via cable to the network, it gets added to the existing IAP cluster just fine. However, as soon as I disconnect the IAP-277 from the network, it never comes back as mesh. I tried configuring it in every possible way, with and without eth0 bridging, static IP address, DHCP, etc. It did not make a difference. I do not have a power adapter for the IAP-277 however, so I was only able to test it with PoE, thus I could never physically disconnect the network cable from the eth0 interface of the IAP-277, since it would have lost power. Could this be a problem? The firmware level is at 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.11_64223

Is eth0 on the IAP-277 getting an IP address? 

• 5.  RE: Mesh with IAP-175 and IAP-277

Posted Sep 05, 2018 01:40 AM

When connected to the network it does get an IP address on eth0 via DHCP. I can also set a static IP. When I disconnect the PoE switch where the IAP-277 is connected to from the network, eth0 does not get an IP address any more from DHCP. 

• 6.  RE: Mesh with IAP-175 and IAP-277

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 10:59 AM

@nathalie wrote:

When connected to the network it does get an IP address on eth0 via DHCP. I can also set a static IP. When I disconnect the PoE switch where the IAP-277 is connected to from the network, eth0 does not get an IP address any more from DHCP. 

Do you have a diagram of the connectivity you're trying to build out? I'm unclear whether the IAP-175 or the IAP-277 should be the mesh and which should be the wired AP in this scenario. If the IAP-175 is the wired AP, and the IAP-277 should be the mesh AP, then the 277 should not be receiving an IP address on its wired interfaces.

• 7.  RE: Mesh with IAP-175 and IAP-277

Posted Sep 06, 2018 02:02 AM

Ok, let me try to explain it better. 

Initial situation: Existing IAP cluster containing 3 IAP-105, and 1 IAP-175. No exising mesh, all 4 antennas are cabled. 

Customer wants: Addition of 2 IAP-277 to the existing cluster. They need to be added on outside locations, that are about 100m away from the IAP-175. 

Steps taken: 

1. I connected one IAP-277 on eth0 to a PoE switch via cable, and connected the PoE switch to the existing network via cable, so that the IAP-277 would get added to the existing cluster. The IAP-277 received an IP address on eth0 via DHCP and was added to the existing cluster. I was able to see it in the admin interface.

2. I configured eth0 bridging on the IAP-277 and rebooted it. Once rebooted, I removed the cable between the PoE switch and the existing network, but left the cable between the PoE switch and the IAP-277, such that the IAP-277 would not be connected to the existing network, but would still get power from the PoE switch. The PoE switch and the IAP-277 are now standalone, not physically connected to the existing network through a cable. The IAP-277 does not receive an IP address on eth0, since there is no DHCP server available. 

3. The IAP-277 never connects back to the existing cluster via mesh. 

• 8.  RE: Mesh with IAP-175 and IAP-277

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2018 04:15 PM

Ensure the AP is powered correctly (I would think it would be), but outside of that you might open a TAC case. It sounds like you're doing things right, but also make sure that there is a neighboring portal for the mesh point to find and associated to.