Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Meshing and Clients on the same 5Ghz Radio

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Meshing and Clients on the same 5Ghz Radio

Posted Nov 06, 2017 06:03 AM

Dear All,

I have confusion in Meshing. I have one site which have 19 APs as a Mesh-Points. I need clarification for the below points.

1. If i use 5Ghz for Meshing, can i serve the clients from the same radio.  If yes what will be the effect on user throughput.

2. If i have Meshpoints directly connected from Mesh-Portals , and a client is connected to the mesh point. What will be the effect on the throughput .

• 2.  RE: Meshing and Clients on the same 5Ghz Radio

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 06:12 AM

1.  Yes.  It depends.  The further away the client is from the access point, the more it could potentially bring down the throughput.  The more traffic the client sends, the more it would bring down the throughput.  The more airtime a client consumes, the more it brings down the performance.

2.  Please see #1

If you have well-behaved applications that are not bandwidth and/or delay sensitve (voip or video), it definitely could work.  Voip and Video could also work if you do not have too much traffic.  You should setup a test.

• 3.  RE: Meshing and Clients on the same 5Ghz Radio

Posted Nov 06, 2017 06:22 AM

Thanks Joseph,

You mean to say that we can serve clients and at the same time we can do meshing on the same channel of 5Ghz. 

• 4.  RE: Meshing and Clients on the same 5Ghz Radio

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 06:29 AM

Yes.

• 5.  RE: Meshing and Clients on the same 5Ghz Radio

Posted Nov 06, 2017 06:55 AM

What is the recommended distance between Mesh-Portal AP and Mesh-Point AP if i have ANT-3x3-5010 for 5Ghz on both APs. 

• 6.  RE: Meshing and Clients on the same 5Ghz Radio

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 10:54 AM

There is no recommendation. How far apart the mesh APs are depends on a) requirements in your design, b) your requirements for throughput (if any). So you either have an environment where you require APs as specific locations, you are placement restricted and you use the antennas required to hit bandwidth targets, OR you have bandwidth requirements but placement isn't as critical, and so you place the APs at locations based on your performance requirements. The outdoor VRD has some guidance on Rate v Range, but right now we have validated 275 mesh, 277 mesh, and 274 with ANT-2x2-5314 antennas. If you give us the separation, we can give you an estimate of performance, but as with any prediction or in our own measured tests (which are done in RF clean environments with noise floors at or below -100), your actual performance will be based on the environment you have.