Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Meshing question

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Meshing question

Posted Aug 18, 2014 10:56 AM

HI,

I'm running a master local 7220 controllers, and we have done several wireless meshing with AP-175's. I'm trying a new AP-114 with a AP-175DC using the eithernet jack on the 175DC connected to a laptop. It works fine wireless but I can't get the wired to pass traffic. I have a case open with TAC but they haven't gotten back to me I thought maybe someone here has an idea. We are using OSPF with several VLANs due to the use of Wireless phones and E911 CER.  Here is a screen shot of our wired config. My questions is how does the controller know what VAP traffic to put on the Ethernet port or does it put all VAPS of that AP-group where the AP is provisioned. mesh.jpg

• 2.  RE: Meshing question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2014 11:42 AM

You have to specify the VLAN/port config of the mesh point (which is what I assume you have screenshot there), the VAP traffic is configured separately from the physical interface of the mesh point. So if you are putting a laptop on the wired port of the mesh point, you need to configure the interface (like you would a switch) as an access port and on a VLAN you want that device to reside in, and make sure that VLAN exists on the portal side as well (or on the controller if in tunnel mode).

• 3.  RE: Meshing question

Posted Aug 18, 2014 12:00 PM

HI,

I have tried setting the access mode VLAN to 43 which is he one we want to use for this but still doesn't pass traffic from the same MESH point (AP-175DC) I'm able to get the same laptop to pass wireless traffic on vlan 43 though the same Mesh Point only useing wireless not the ethernet jack. 

• 4.  RE: Meshing question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2014 12:04 PM

You may need to provide a complete network diagram showing what all is going where...If you set the access port VLAN to 43, on the wired profile of the mesh point, what does the wired port for the corresponding mesh portal look like? Is it also bridged and does it specifically include VLAN 43 in it's config? If the portal in VLAN 43 as well, or is it in another VLAN? If another VLAN, is the switch port the portal configured on set to trunk with native VLAN whatever for the portal and has added the trunk port on VLAN 43, and does the mesh portal's point also configured that way (trunk port native whatever, trunk port allow vlan 43)?

You're running it in bridge mode, which means you need L2 continuity from the point to portal wired interfaces. If not, there's no layer 2. You can try to put the mesh point's wired interface as access vlan 43 and put it in TUNNEL mode. At that point, the mesh point will build a GRE tunnel from the point to the controller. That will more closely mimic the behavior of the wireless VLAN 43 traffic working.

• 5.  RE: Meshing question

Posted Aug 18, 2014 12:17 PM

The mesh portal and mesh point are in the same AP-Group, so it's also getting the same AP Ethernet interface 0 port configuration which I posted. The switch where the mesh portal is connected is on a differnt vlan ID # so if mesh point ethernet traffic is being dumped out of the GRE tunnel there it won't work. I thought it made a GRE tunnel from the mesh portal back to the controller does it not?

• 6.  RE: Meshing question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2014 02:10 PM

In your screenshot, you are bridging the ethernet interface, which means if you configured that as an access port on VLAN 43, it would expect to come back out of the portals' wired interface on the same VLAN. If the portal is not wired to your LAN on VLAN 43, then it would never work (wrong L2 network). So you would have to either put the interface in TUNNEL mode (where it will be GRE tunneled to the *controller*), or configure the portal uplink as a trunk port, tagged on VLAN 43, and native on whateer it is now....

Hope that makes sense...but it's that your bridging that makes it require contiguous L2 from point to portal. Tunneled interfaces go to the controller.

• 7.  RE: Meshing question

Posted Aug 18, 2014 05:04 PM

So sounds like the best way is tunnle mode because I don't want any custom vlan on the swtich in case someone swaps the switch out I want it to tunnle back to controller so we aren't dependent on the swtich.