Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrating RAP2&5 to a different controller

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Migrating RAP2&5 to a different controller

Posted Jan 11, 2016 07:58 AM

Hi All,

We are currently trying to migrate a load of RAP2s and RAP5s off our 7240 controller to our older 6000 controller so that we can upgrade the 7240 to the 6.4 OS.

We have set up a profile which amends the LMS IP of the RAPs to the 6000 controller and they are currently working, however I wondered if there is a way to get them to change the master IP address on these specific devices as every time the RAPs are turned off they are going to the 7240s to get their configuration first then pushed to the 6000. I'm guessing this is because the original master address that was used is the external IP of the 7240.

I haven't upgraded the 7240 yet incase it stops allowing the RAP2 & 5s to be forwarded.

Both controllers are currently on 6.3.1.19.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Migrating RAP2&5 to a different controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2016 07:59 AM
    You can put them in a separate group and then apply a provisioning profile which will set the masterip.

• 3.  RE: Migrating RAP2&5 to a different controller

Posted Jan 11, 2016 08:53 AM

Thanks Tim,

would you put the provisioning profile on the 7240 and the 6000 or just the 7240 so that it pushed it across to the 6000s master IP?

Also when creating a provisioning profile is it just the masterstr you fill in with the new masters external IP address. 

Lastly would I have to tick the Remote-AP box (i'm presuming I would!?)

• 4.  RE: Migrating RAP2&5 to a different controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2016 08:54 AM

You would build it wherever the RAPs currently are connected.

Yes, you would set the new master IP and remote AP checkbox.

• 5.  RE: Migrating RAP2&5 to a different controller

Posted Jan 11, 2016 10:14 AM

Thanks Tim I created a provisioning profile on the 7240 to push to the 6000 with RAP ticked and the 6000s external and this seems to be pushing it over well, i havent re-created the provisioning profile on the 6000 as the above seems to be doing a good job! i did test it but for some reason got them in a loop.

I've tried restarting my test RAP2 and it doesnt go back to my 7240

• 6.  RE: Migrating RAP2&5 to a different controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2016 10:18 AM
    What does "show log security 20" and "show log system 20" on the controller show?

• 7.  RE: Migrating RAP2&5 to a different controller

Posted Jan 11, 2016 10:25 AM

Hi Tim,

This just has some channel interferences and some rogue AP detections in it.

In the show log syetem there are only a few of the errors below but nothing relating to my test APs

printk: 6 messages suppressed.

asap_firewall_forward: br0, insufficient headroom, require 66, but 54, skb data length 174.

• 8.  RE: Migrating RAP2&5 to a different controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2016 10:20 AM

@bellarious wrote:

Thanks Tim I created a provisioning profile on the 7240 to push to the 6000 with RAP ticked and the 6000s external and this seems to be pushing it over well, i havent re-created the provisioning profile on the 6000 as the above seems to be doing a good job! i did test it but for some reason got them in a loop.

I've tried restarting my test RAP2 and it doesnt go back to my 7240

Bellarious,

Please make sure that in your Ap-Group, in the AP system profile, there is no lms-ip.