Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrating from ArubaOS6 to 8 with adding a MM and a MC

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Migrating from ArubaOS6 to 8 with adding a MM and a MC

Posted Jul 30, 2020 10:38 AM

Hi all,

Currently our client is running a 7205 pair with ~200 APs in active-standby mode, on ArubaOS6.

Plan would be to install a virtual MM, upgrade the setup to ArubaOS8, add another 7205 and another 100 APs.

I'm putting together a shopping list for this, currently I'm at:

Part NumberQtyDesc
    JY895AAE 1Aruba MM-VA-500 Mobility Master Virtual Appliance
    JW735A 1Aruba 7205 (RW) Mobility Controller
    JW471AAE 100Aruba LIC-ENT Licence Bundle
    R2H28A 100Aruba AP-505 (RW) Dual radio 802.11ax access point

Am I forgetting something trivial there? Do I need some licence on the MM for all APs, or the LIC-ENT sorts that out for me?

Anything I need to look out for re licence migration? I might buy the new kit from a different vendor than the existing kit, is that a problem in the mynetworking portal?

Not too worried re config migration, I have 3 PSK SSIDs, no .1x auth at the moment, so even a full rebuild shouldn't be too bad.

All info much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tamas

• 2.  RE: Migrating from ArubaOS6 to 8 with adding a MM and a MC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2020 11:08 AM

What are the existing licenses that you have on your controllers? AP? PEF? RFP? Are you using Airwave as well?

LIC-ENT includes AP + PEF + RFP + Airwave licenses.. So if you are not using Airwave, you can go with a cheaper option by choosing individually the needed licenses..

Also, what mounting kit will you use for 505?

• 3.  RE: Migrating from ArubaOS6 to 8 with adding a MM and a MC

Posted Jul 30, 2020 12:26 PM

Thanks for the quick follow up!

We use Airwave, so I'd need the licences.

Btw: will it hurt to reconfig Airwave from monitoring the AOS6 cluster to monitoring the AOS8 MM?

Good point re mounting, I keep forgetting that... My site survey doesn't include ceiling/surface info, so I'll look into that.

• 4.  RE: Migrating from ArubaOS6 to 8 with adding a MM and a MC
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2020 06:46 AM

Hi,

The below part number will include the needed licenses for the MM VM to manage 500 devices (including your APs & controllers)

JY895AAE 1Aruba MM-VA-500 Mobility Master Virtual Appliance

You will need to have support on your existing controllers to migrate the existing 200 licenses to the MM. You can also add the new 100 licenses that are part of the below BoQ. As such,

You will have an MM that can support 500 managed devices. You will have around 300 licenses (APs, PEF, RFP assuming you already have those)

JW735A 1Aruba 7205 (RW) Mobility Controller
    JW471AAE 100Aruba LIC-ENT Licence Bundle
    R2H28A 100Aruba AP-505 (RW) Dual radio 802.11ax access point

Airwave will be reconfigured to learn the new MM and MDs details..

• 5.  RE: Migrating from ArubaOS6 to 8 with adding a MM and a MC

Posted Jul 31, 2020 06:50 AM

Okay, thanks again for the clarifications!

Looks like I'll just need to figure out what mounts I need and I should be good to go shopping.

Cheers,

Tamas