Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrating mobility master services

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Migrating mobility master services

Posted Jun 15, 2020 04:57 PM

Hi all,

I have an old data center with 2 x mobility masters (in a VRRP pair) on some old VMware infrastructure 

Ive now got the task to migrate these services to some new infrastructure which has to be on a new IP address. 

I have stood up a pair of mobility masters on this new VMware; but wondering the best way to migrate all the config and licenses (while minimising downtime to current setup), then migrate across a set of 14 controllers which look to these MMs for config / licensing etc. 

Any ideas on the safest way to do this?

thanks 

• 2.  RE: Migrating mobility master services

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2020 05:54 PM

This is something that I would contact TAC, your SE or failing that, professional services.  There are quite a few decisions to be made based on your infrastructure.

• 3.  RE: Migrating mobility master services
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 15, 2020 10:46 PM

I would start with a backup of the current MM flash, and restoring it on the new MMs. You would want to make sure that network connectivity is disabled to the new VMs, and work via the VMware console. Change your IPs, migrate your licenses, and take care of any certificate changes. Working through this in a careful order can get you the results you're looking for, and Aruba or an Aruba Partner can make sure that things go smooth, and you can test along the way.

• 4.  RE: Migrating mobility master services

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2020 07:14 AM

The ipv4 address of the master parameters would also

need to be updated for all of the controllers  (MD) for them to be able to talk to the new setup:

Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 06.06.36.png

There are also other options like removing the backup MM,  enabling L3 redundancy and having all of the MDs talk to that L3 redundant MM at the destination as an interim step, so all controllers will not have to be moved at the same time.

Long story short, it is not a simple migration and the timing and the order you would do them would be specific to what you have setup currently and what downtime you are willing to accept.  I would definitely practice this in a lab if you have one, but seek help, because it is not easy, especially if your MDs are physically separated with no console connections to rescue you if MDs are orphaned..

• 5.  RE: Migrating mobility master services

Posted Jun 16, 2020 02:35 PM

Thanks - appreciate the feedback. Definitely not a simple approach so will be taking my time to plan this one