Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrationscenario with two SC3 Supervisor Cards and one Chassis

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Migrationscenario with two SC3 Supervisor Cards and one Chassis

Posted Jun 09, 2015 04:45 AM

Hi

we have two 6000 Controllers with SC3 Sup in each controller. Both controllers are used with active/standby vrrp redundancy. Licences are accumulated.

Now we reached hardware licence limit of 512 APs. So we ordered a  new 7220 controller with hardware limit of 1024.

Our plan is to use both "old" SC3 Sups and the new 7220 Controller to get a fully redundant envirement which supports 1024 APs.

Is it only possible to combine both SC3 Cards as local/master setup?

In this case I would configure the 7220 as the active master of all APs and would seperate Backup LMS IP 50% to one SC3 Sup and 50% to the other SC3 Sup?

Does anybody have a better Idea to handle this?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Migrationscenario with two SC3 Supervisor Cards and one Chassis
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2015 07:22 AM

"In this case I would configure the 7220 as the active master of all APs and would seperate Backup LMS IP 50% to one SC3 Sup and 50% to the other SC3 Sup?"

Yes, you can do that.  It is probably the best way to do it.

• 3.  RE: Migrationscenario with two SC3 Supervisor Cards and one Chassis

Posted Jun 09, 2015 08:27 AM

Thanks a lot.

Do I have to configure LMS and Backup LMS in AP system profile or is the backup LMS entry sufficient?

• 4.  RE: Migrationscenario with two SC3 Supervisor Cards and one Chassis

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2015 08:30 AM
    Backup LMS only comes into play in a failover scenario. You should only need to configure the LMS IP

• 5.  RE: Migrationscenario with two SC3 Supervisor Cards and one Chassis

Posted Jun 10, 2015 02:22 AM

That's not my question.

At this time LMS and Backup LMS are not configured at all. APs find the centralized controller via DNS resolution because there are no local controllers in our environment. The question ist do I have to fill both fields lms ip and backup lms ip. Does the AP in non backup scenario finds its controller via DNS and uses the backup lms ip if findig the controller via dns fails?

• 6.  RE: Migrationscenario with two SC3 Supervisor Cards and one Chassis

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2015 05:12 AM

@FlorianKueck wrote:

That's not my question.

At this time LMS and Backup LMS are not configured at all. APs find the centralized controller via DNS resolution because there are no local controllers in our environment. The question ist do I have to fill both fields lms ip and backup lms ip. Does the AP in non backup scenario finds its controller via DNS and uses the backup lms ip if findig the controller via dns fails?

If DNS fails, the AP cannot find a controller and it will reboot forever.  The AP must find a controller first using DNS.  When it finds a controller, it will look up the LMS-IP and the Backup LMS-IP assigned to the AP system profile in its server group.  You do not have to fill in the LMS-IP or the Backup LMS-IP.  The LMS-IP is if you want to redirect the AP to a different controller after it first discovers a controller using DNS.  The Backup LMS-IP is only configured if you want the AP to discover a second controller after the LMS-IP controller stops responding.  If you have a single controller, you do not need to configure LMS or Backup LMS.

• 7.  RE: Migrationscenario with two SC3 Supervisor Cards and one Chassis

Posted Jun 11, 2015 05:05 AM

No idea?

@cjoseph wrote:
    Backup LMS only comes into play in a failover scenario. You should only need to configure the LMS IP