Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

Posted Apr 09, 2018 09:01 AM
      |   view attached

Of my 32 Remote sites 29 have an heartbeat issue.  Last month we upgraded our Cisco Switch to latest IOS and since then we have issues.  On the Switch i am seeing large amounts of Giants, while the AP are showing large amounts of heartbeats missed. Please look at the attached file. 

Attachment(s)

txt
    AP heartbeats.txt   5 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2018 09:34 AM

The heartbeat failures started after the switch firmware upgrade? What version of IOS were the switches upgrade from/to?

• 3.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

Posted Apr 09, 2018 09:48 AM

These are 2960G and X  I went from c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE10a to 11 and for the 2960X I wnet from 2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6 to 152-2.E7.

• 4.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

Posted Apr 09, 2018 01:45 PM

Thank you for the answer, most AP's (215) work fine, some I have had to re-provision to get them to work.  Then the User are stating that the SSID is telling them the wrong passord is applied.  From the controller the password was changed just last week and several sites will attribute this to the IOS upgrade while I think it is the AP not getting GRE.  Yes when i look at the AP with bssid-table all SSID are broadcasting...?..

• 5.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2018 11:42 PM

I don't have history with the versions of Cisco firmware you're using, but it does sound like there is a communications issue between the APs and the controller.

Can you check the port configuration on the Cisco switch side to validate that the AP's ports are still autonegotiating 1 Gig and full duplex? 

• 6.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

Posted Apr 10, 2018 07:53 AM

Checked all ports on the Cisco devices and yes they are still set to auto-negotition.  I have been manually (via an RDP session and console cable ) either factory reset or purging the environment and re-configuring the devices.  That seems to work, but i can also say it is a certain batch of AP 215's.  It is only involving device with this series of mac addresses AC:A3:1E:C5:Ex:xx.

• 7.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2018 08:01 AM

What is the infrastructure between those access points and the controller?

• 8.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

Posted Apr 10, 2018 08:11 AM

There are several Firewalls between the AP and the controller.  I have already checked the ports to ensure that the correct ports are open for communications.  Especially 47-GRE

• 9.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2018 08:16 AM

Is it a site to site VPN?

• 10.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

Posted Apr 10, 2018 08:45 AM

None of these sites are using s2s VPN.  All are using BGP routed connections.  Which was working until the IOS upgrade.  The only change I had to make to the Switches was removing VSTACK due to a Cisoc CVE about remote install software.   

• 11.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2018 08:48 AM

Allright.

It suggests a connectivity issue.

You should type "show ap debug counters" to see what APs and to what extent have bootstrap issues.  It is typical to have 2 bootstraps by default.

• 12.  RE: Missed heartbeat 6.5.4.2 on several remote sites

Posted Apr 10, 2018 10:05 AM
      |   view attached

That command showd alot of bootstraps and reboots.  Look at the test file.

Attachment(s)

txt
    Debugs.txt   11 KB 1 version