Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mitel phones on RAP ports

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Mitel phones on RAP ports

Posted Mar 14, 2014 07:25 AM

Hi Guys,

I came across this issue with a customer recently and thought I'd share it...

Scenario:
    Customer has 3400 controller terminating 60 RAPs. They have Cisco and Mitel VOIP phones and respective VLANs for both. I wanted to show them they could use the phones remotely by patching them into the additional wired port ont he RAP.

I configured the wired port on the RAP to be and access port on the Cisco VOIP VLAN and patched the Cisco phone in. It worked perfectly.

I configured the wired port on the RAP to be and access port on the Mitel VOIP VLAN and patched the Mitel phone in. It failed to get an IP address and gets stuck at DHCP Discovery - Option 125.

I configured a spare switchport on the controller as an access port on the Mitel VLAN, patched the Mitel phone in and it worked just fine.... Hmmmm.

After a bit of head scratching and broadcast checking we discovered how to get it working..

Configure the port on the RAP to be in trunk mode, native VLAN = Mitel VOIP VLAN, Allowed VLANs = Mitel VOIP VLAN.

That seemed to do the trick. 

Cheers

James

tl;dr If you want to use your Mitel phone patched into the wired port on a RAP, set the RAP switchport mode to trunk with the native and allowed VLANs as your Mitel VOIP VLAN.

• 2.  RE: Mitel phones on RAP ports

Posted Mar 14, 2014 07:34 PM

Thanks for sharing .

I experienced a similar situation with an Avaya phone behind the RAP port and the workaround was to make the port a trunk

• 3.  RE: Mitel phones on RAP ports

Posted Sep 08, 2015 01:36 PM

Hi!,

Complementing the response.

In some cases is needed configure the port speed to 100 and full duplex. additionally to the trunk port