Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mixed AP61 and AP105 environment and enable HT?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Mixed AP61 and AP105 environment and enable HT?

Posted Nov 19, 2012 04:49 AM

We have a environment with a lot of AP61 and some AP105. As I understand, HT means 802.11n, and AP61 doesn't support  802.11n. We also have a lot of places where AP61 and AP105 overlapping each others. I have disabled many band steering and sprectrum balancing accordingly to guideline.

My question is that whether there is any way so that I could turn on HT in the SSID, a client would connect 802.11n to a AP105 and fallback to 802.11g if the clients find a AP61?

Thanks a million in advance

Cheers

Kenneth

• 2.  RE: Mixed AP61 and AP105 environment and enable HT?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2012 06:43 AM

yes.

That is exactly what will happen if you turn on HT.

• 3.  RE: Mixed AP61 and AP105 environment and enable HT?

Posted Nov 20, 2012 05:12 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Here is what I tried, I created a new group with new ht enabled radio profile, and put a AP105 in there for testing.

Then I created a new ht enabled SSID (my old SSIDs are all wep) and included it into all groups for testing purpose.

The result was that all AP61 became sort of inactive, I have a whole floor with all AP61, and I couldn't connect at all on that floor.

What might I have done wrong?

Thanks a million

Cheers

Kenneth

• 4.  RE: Mixed AP61 and AP105 environment and enable HT?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2012 05:50 AM

You cannot use HT with WEP, as per the standard.  You can only use HT with an SSID that has AES or Open.  WPA2-AES might be what you want to try.

EDIT:

Hold on... you could not connect to the AP61s?  The AP61s do not support HT, so they should just ignore that part of the config.  You should not be able to connect to the AP105s on the SSIDs that have WEP and HT enabled for the reason above.

• 5.  RE: Mixed AP61 and AP105 environment and enable HT?

Posted Nov 20, 2012 06:33 AM

Thanks for your input

HT cannot use WEP, that's why I created a new SSID for testing purpose.

I have all the AP61 in a seperate group, which ht is disabled in the radio profile. But if I include any VAP with ht enabled SSID profile in that group, it effectivetly disabled all APs in the group. Not just the ht enabled SSID profile, even other VAP with non-ht enabled SSID wouldn't work either.

My goal is to have a AP61 and AP105 mixed network, and clients should connect 802.11n if possible, and fallback to 802.11a/g if n wasn't available.

Thanks

Cheers

Kenneth

• 6.  RE: Mixed AP61 and AP105 environment and enable HT?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2012 08:44 PM

Try to create the SSID in that new group using the WLAN/LAN Wizard first.  Also, make sure you are doing a "save-as" when you are configuring the new radio profile so that you are not changing to default profile for all APs.