Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobile Mesh Vehicular

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Mobile Mesh Vehicular

Posted Dec 27, 2016 04:40 PM

Hi!

Have any of you ever done Mobile Mesh in vehicul? Example, with 2x IAP 275, One on factory top and other one on the vehicul top? I need acces to intranet in yard (around the truck) and I dont have a cellular acces in this place. We need to cover about 1km maximum..

Do you have any other idea for me? :)

• 2.  RE: Mobile Mesh Vehicular

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 02, 2017 11:09 AM

Aruba OS mesh (IAP or Controller-based) doesn't support roaming (ala a mesh point on a truck moving around a yard to multiple portals is not supported). If you could post a screenshot from Google Maps or Google Earth of the area you need to cover, as well as where the Access Point for network access would be, we may come up with an alternative. 

My recommendation would be to use the HP501(https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/networking/networking-wireless/pip.networking-wireless.6604155.html) in the vehicle, which can act as a wireless client and provide a wired bridged interface for any network device in the vehicle.

• 3.  RE: Mobile Mesh Vehicular

Posted Jan 04, 2017 08:11 AM

Hi!

Thank you for your reply! We dont need a wired connection in the vehicle, but a wireless acces. It's for a iPad. If we only have one mesh portal, did you think it will work?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Mobile Mesh Vehicular
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2017 11:17 AM

You can always try and it may require some specific settings on the mesh portal (turning off the higher MCS rates, only using legacy rates, etc). But a vehicle mounted mesh solution is not supported in AOS and so if the portal/point stability is an issue, there won't be much of a fix from Aruba on it. 

Using the 501, you can always put the 501 as a mobile device and then a low cost Ap in the cab wired to the 501, that has been done with pretty good success.