Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

Posted Apr 08, 2019 11:04 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Experts,

Can data ports be 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps or only 1 Gbps?

In the case that it was 1 Gbps (according to what I have read), the 3 data ports of the MC-VA-50 can be used to connect to the host. I mean, can I have a BW max output of 3 Gbps for the MC-VA-50?

Regards

• 2.  RE: Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2019 11:26 AM

The VMC logical ports will show up as 1Gbps ports to the vSwitch. You could port channel the three data ports for a 3Gbps aggregate link if your vSwitch provides that capability.

• 3.  RE: Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

Posted Apr 08, 2019 11:56 AM

Hi, Charlie, thanks for your reply.

Could I use 10 Gbps ports? In that case, could I do an aggregate 30Gbps link with 3 10Gbps ports? Would not there be a problem on the part of the Aruba MC-VA-50?

Regards

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2019 02:31 PM

Where are you suggesting using 10Gbps ports?

• 5.  RE: Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

Posted Apr 08, 2019 03:22 PM

I am suggesting to use the 3 physical ports of 10 Gbps of the server where I have installed the Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50, and use them as data ports and thus achieve a bandwidth of 30 Gbps.

Regards

• 6.  RE: Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2019 03:54 PM

The server's physical ports can be 1Gbps or 10Gbps, so the physical connectivity is fine.

For the Virtual Mobility Controller, the logical data ports are 1Gbps. The VMC lacks the hardware acceleration that a physical controller benefits from, consequently does not provide the same aggregate throughput that a hardware controller could. The VA-MC-50 is not capable of bandwidth throughput levels where 30Gbps or 10Gbps aggregate connectivity is needed.

• 7.  RE: Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

Posted Apr 08, 2019 06:39 PM

Thanks for your reply. Is that limitation only for the VA-MC-50 model, or is it in general for all the Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliances?

Regards,

Carlos

• 8.  RE: Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2019 10:04 AM

See my comment on your other thread on this topic.

(HH-VMC1) #show interface gigabitethernet 0/0/0

GE 0/0/0 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is 10 Gigabit Ethernet, address is 00:0C:29:CD:4E:CB (bia 00:0C:29:CD:4E:CB)
    Description: GE0/0/0
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    speed (10 Gbps)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW is 10000 Mbit
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 42 day 8 hr 45 min 17 sec
    link status last changed 42 day 8 hr 42 min 44 sec
    547248900 packets input, 215995525137 bytes
    Received 42497575 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    0 input error bytes, 0 CRC, 0 frame
    42497575 multicast, 504751325 unicast
    91384109 packets output, 18576731965 bytes
    0 output errors bytes, 0 deferred
    0 collisions, 0 late collisions, 0 throttles
    This port is TRUSTED
    (HH-VMC1) #

Note ifwhen the vSwitch is mapped to 10G interfaces, the bandwidth available will be 10G (10G virtual interface on VMC to 10G interface uplink to vSwitch to 10G physical link to uplink switch). No single VMC of any size will ever exceed 10G of real throughput, so LAG is only used for redundancy. VMC50 would likely never exceed 1G.

• 9.  RE: Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports

Posted Apr 09, 2019 12:17 PM

Hello, Jerrod
    Thanks for your reply. Do you have any document that indicates the real throughput of each VMC?

Regards,

Carlos

• 10.  RE: Mobility Controller-Virtual Appliance-50 Data Ports
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2019 01:16 PM

Not publicly posted yet as those values change from code to code and we're always working to improve. Additionally, the speed/power of the CPU and hypervisor DRASTICALLY vary which in turns drastically changes the overall throughput. Ballpark for the smaller VMCs will be around 3-4Gbps max CCM/GCM using top end, fully featured hypervisors with fast Xeon processors (3Ghz+), larger VMCs (1K+) will approach 10Gbps. Note we are talking about wifi crypto throughput with DPI on and all the features enabled. Lower speed CPUs, hypervisors that are overloeaded/oversubscribed, and when VMs do not have CPU reservations, will provide lower throughput. 

note that throughput scales with CPU. If you want MAX speed to approach 10G, you would provision a VMC-1K or larger, and just load the 50 APs on it, similar to loading a 7240XM with 50 APs. That said, we RARELY see multi-Gbps throughput across small AP deployments. For Superbowl 53 with over 1,800 APs and over 30k concurrent peak, the peak throughput we saw TOTAL across the entire deployment was (ONLY heh) 13Gbps. Extrapolate that down to 50 APs and you won't cross 1Gbps avg. And these are the environments where we see LOADS of data use across the wifi. So we feel very comfortable with the statements that you won't generally see more than 1Gbps over a VMC 50 except in extreme circumstances. And the beauty of the VMCs is you can give them as much or little resources on your hypervisor that you want if you want more speed, you have it.

https://www.mobilesportsreport.com/2019/02/super-bowl-53-smashes-wi-fi-record-with-24-tb-of-traffic-at-mercedes-benz-stadium/